• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Proper Pronunciation

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good song choice at the end, too!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Clevah

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wicked smaht.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
There are really several "Boston accents" depending on where in the city you come from, your socio-economic class, and your ethnic background. To a Bostonian, it's pretty simple to tell whether someone was raised in Southie (Irish) or the North End (Italian). There are even different accents for different towns as one moves further out of the city. One of our favorite pastimes is to mock any actor not from around here who tries to imitate a Boston accent. I grew up about 25 miles south of the city and while my friends from away kid me about my Boston accent, native Bostonians don't think I've got much of one. Sadly, as we become more and more unified through the media, regional accents seem to be disappearing and I fear someday we'll all sound like generic newsreaders. And if you want an education about the use of "wicked" this might be of interest: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/01...e-wicked-correctly-new-hyundai-super-bowl-ad/

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have a high school friend who works for a news affiliate in either Cleveland or Cincinnati, one of those places in Ohio, and she apparently gets a hard time for her accent. I reminded her that we Okies don't have accents and it was those from Ohio with the funny accent.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I grew up in West Virginia - I have NO business talking to anyone about funny accents.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Here in Virginia,I get to make fun of them (& their accents),
but they can't do that to me,because I don't have one.
I speak "Californian".

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Here in Virginia,I get to make fun of them (& their accents),
but they can't do that to me,because I don't have one.
I speak "Californian".
I suspect you speak "Northern Californian". "Southern Californian" includes a lot of "like", as in "I speak, like, Californian."

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Correct! But I do say "Dude",when mocking the California stereotype.
I'm still learning to speak "Southern".

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Awesome!

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"Southern" can be challenging to learn Doug. But you probably figured that out already.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
"Southern" can be challenging to learn Doug. But you probably figured that out already.

when we lived in the south (OK Florida - where the further north you go the further south you get) we were taught and experienced that:

The first thing you learn is

Fixin to
then Big old
and only third is y'all and all y'all

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
when we lived in the south (OK Florida - where the further north you go the further south you get) we were taught and experienced that:

The first thing you learn is

Fixin to
then Big old
and only third is y'all and all y'all

I'll add that in Louisiana the first one is "Fit'nta" (one word, first t is almost silent); second is "Big ol'"; third is just "y'all"...