• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Confirmation That the Collector Car Market is NUTS!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Crazy... even for a super low-mileage original car. Maybe it comes with the rest of the showroom. :wink-new:

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Every so often I think of what new car I could buy if I sold my two Healeys and, obviously, have always figured it's not worth it. But there are a couple of brand new Ferraris you could buy for the price of the 240Z, that I'm just going to assume are a lot better sports car than a 50 year old one. Only thing I can think of is the buyer already has lots of new Ferrari money and this is small change or the Nissan museum is really desperate for a low mile example.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Every so often I think of what new car I could buy if I sold my two Healeys and, obviously, have always figured it's not worth it. But there are a couple of brand new Ferraris you could buy for the price of the 240Z, that I'm just going to assume are a lot better sports car than a 50 year old one. Only thing I can think of is the buyer already has lots of new Ferrari money and this is small change or the Nissan museum is really desperate for a low mile example.

OR, all it takes it two determined bidders. :rolleyes:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well that's nuts.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Someone with more money than sense.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Can you say "outlier"?

Recent BaT sales of 240Zs:

Outlier.jpg

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vi.../why-did-1971-datsun-240z-command-record-310k

The buyer apparently joined BaT just to buy this car.

D

Deleted member 8987

I remember last weekend there was a Barrett-Jackson marahon. Saw a TR-3 sell, looked black with silver racing stripes and a chin spoiler. $93K (as opposed to a late early bodied Bronco for $640K).I just looked up the TR3...looks like the same car.Listed as sold for $44K.So, why do we see numbers at the auction that are more than double what the listed sale price is? https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1956-TRIUMPH-TR3-CUSTOM-CONVERTIBLE-237179. Granted there could be several of these just like this one...chin spoiler and all.....says green and white, was hard to tell under the lights.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What really gets me is when you hear guys say -
"I had a 240Z......wish I had it back".
What they're really saying is - "I wish i had it back,so
I could sell it for stupid money".

To me,that's the wrong reason to buy a car.
Buy it because you really want it,& want to keep it.

D

Deleted member 8987

It's all fake. Who would spend the kind of money bandied about on the cars shows for what they get?
Ratings.
Probably not one of those Motor Trend car show shops I'd let withing 100 feet of any car I owned.

When was the last time Foose shipped one with a (legally required) outside rear view mirror?

But they do it in six days, right?

Fake bags under Chip's eyes at (allegedly) 2 AM

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
In statistics this is a fine example of an outlier. LOL
There's something "funny" about all this (though stupid might also be at work).

Anyway, my dad had one of the first ones imported in 1970. It sure was a cool and mysterious car for about 6 months. Its only downside was that it was badged to death (with stuff plastered all over it - including the hatchback). At the time, it was priced about the same as a Porsche 914 (which he was also considering)… and I recall them both at about $3,600.

I graduated from high school that year, and it was a fun car to drive (as a relative newbie).

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Was just reading this at BaT (on a Sprite sales page):

"In fairness to our sellers and bidders, we have extended this auction one hour to account for the temporary spike in server load we experienced after the 240Z auction this morning. We will continue to monitor all of our auctions and our server load closely, and expect nothing but smooth sailing ahead."

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I know they are rising in price,but not worth it to me. For that money I could have what I got in perfect condition and move to a warmer climate with the biggest personal shop ever.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Sooner or later, everyone sells their cars. Health reasons, old age, financial problems- or just get tired and bored with driving them and want something different. My TR6 owes me nothing. I've had it for over 20 years and if I sold it at a loss after what I have spent, it would not bother me one bit. But it would be nice to know that I could get a good price for it when the day comes to sell. I could always use the money for something else. I was being facetious when I said I shoulda kept my 280ZX. Same for my Porsche 356 coupe, my Twin-Cam MG, my three MG TDs even my two VW Beetles, not to mention my 1934 Ford convertible I bought for $150 and sold for $125 and my 1940 Ford sedan. And with the effects of inflation, don't tell me a dollar today is equal to a dollar in 1959. My father paid $10,000.00 for a 10-room house on Shippan Point-a fancy section - in Stamford in 1944. That house today? I'll look up the assessment and let you know.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Just looked up my old house. Appraised for $1,236,275.00.
My father shoulda kept it...unfortunately, he sold it for about $30 Grand in 1955.
Along with that Ferrari 275 GTB I almost bought at sheriff's auction for $3800.00, now worth millions.
One reason I'm still working at 86.