• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Greetings from MGA Guru

barneymg

Freshman Member
Country flag
Greetings from the MGA Guru. I bought my first MGA when I was a sophomore in college in 1968 (just needed cheap transportation). Had three in one year (one at a time), gave it up when I got married. Had a few odd car diversions in between, but bought my current MGA in 1977, restored it, got it back on the road in late 1986. I have driven it 460,000 miles more since then, now 610,000 miles on this car and still driving it daily. In fact it is now the only car I own.

Most everything you may want to know about me can be found on my web site http://MGAguru.com . There you can find over 4000 web pages of technical information for MGA (and vintage British cars in general). There is also an ongoing travel log for the road trip my son and I have been doing, over 200,000 miles all over North America since May 2014. We have visited about 300 car clubs (mostly MG and all-British) in USA, and 50 to 60 more in Canada. I have been seeking out the car owners, especially those who may have problems with their cars, and doing personal tech sessions (teaching the owners how to service their own cars). Teach enough people how to fix the cars, and eventually we may get them all back on the road. We have been tinkering with about 2 cars per week (average), something over 600 cars assisted (so far).

Since late 2015 we have been visiting shops that supply parts, rebuild components, service and restore vintage British cars (more ways to get the cars back on the road). There is now a list of more than 1100 shops in North America, most with photos and notes from our visits. Think North American Yellow Pages for Vintage British Cars.

Having made the rounds of the clubs and shops, we are continuing to seek out more. Also open to suggestions for what we may be able to do in the near future in the best interest of vintage British cars. So far no plans to stop what we are doing, but there is some limit to this, as I turned 70 in 2019, and the calendar keeps running.

Attachments

• cms_1bs.jpg
    cms_1bs.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Yo Barney - really glad to see you join us.

Thanks for all the help over the years.
Tom M.
PS - I turned 70 two years ago. So you're the young'n!

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I met you at the meeting of the UBSCC, Sacramento British car club. And I have used your website for years. Thanks for all the help.

Jerry

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Barney

Welcome to the forum.

That is a testament to a British Car to roll over 100,000 multiple times. Have you stopped at any car clubs in middle Georgia on your
journeys? You sound like a guy I watch on YT. He works on vintage Greyhound buses.

David

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome to the fun house, Barney! Tom was just real excited when he learned you were joining. I thought we might have to give him some drugs to calm him down (just kidding) :congratulatory:

By the way, if you go into our MG forum you will see a sub-forum called "MG Links". Click that and you'll find we have your web site listed as a resource!

Cheers,
Basil

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome! Are you planning on visiting Roanoke,VA?
It'd be nice to meet you in person.

OP
barneymg

barneymg

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello Barney
.... Have you stopped at any car clubs in middle Georgia on your journeys? ....
Yes. See Georgia clubs list here: http://MGAguru.com/links/mgclubs_us1.htm#georgia
In early 2015 we accidentally created a new club "Brits In The Valley" in Columbus, GA. We try to get back there at least once a year. Have also visited Peachtree MG Registry Ltd, and Southeastern MG T-Register, both in Atlanta, GA. Five other clubs in Georgia seem to be elusive, hard to contact, or do not have regular meetings, but we keep trying.

OP
barneymg

barneymg

Freshman Member
Country flag
Welcome! Are you planning on visiting Roanoke,VA?
It'd be nice to meet you in person.
We expect to be passing that way again, likely early March. Email me with street address and phone number, and we will make a point to drop in.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I was in a car show hosted by Brits In the Valley last September. Great group.

Am a member of a car club in Warner Robbins. Probable one of the groups that are hard to get hold of. British Auto Owners Group of Middle Georgia.

David

Yes. See Georgia clubs list here: http://MGAguru.com/links/mgclubs_us1.htm#georgia
In early 2015 we accidentally created a new club "Brits In The Valley" in Columbus, GA. We try to get back there at least once a year. Have also visited Peachtree MG Registry Ltd, and Southeastern MG T-Register, both in Atlanta, GA. Five other clubs in Georgia seem to be elusive, hard to contact, or do not have regular meetings, but we keep trying.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yes, welcome indeed, Barney!

And if your travels bring you to East Tennessee, we'd love to have you visit us in Maryville. Our local club has "Manly Man Day" at a member's home shop every Friday, where we gather to turn wrenches, sometimes actually successfully. But mostly drink coffee and talk about those who aren't present. :jester:

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you here.

:cheers:
Mickey

OP
barneymg

barneymg

Freshman Member
Country flag
DavidApp - Yes, British Auto Owners Group is one of the clubs we have not been able to connect with for five years. We have only a phone number and one email address,
478-953-2261 - rbtr3a@hotmail.com - so far no luck.
How do we make the connection? Do they have a web page or Facebook page? Any regular meetings?

Mickey - Who is the "local club"? Same as always, send street address and phone number (and email address), and we will look you up next time we get close.

Ditto for anyone else who wants to raise a hand. We haven't skipped anyone yet. Give a hoot, and we will get there eventually. We have been all over North America, including Alaska and most of Canada. I have been to Hawaii as well, but not recently, and not with the car (haven't found the road that goes there yet). Don't ever think you're too far away. The car has unlimited mileage, and we measure distance in oil changes.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Barney -
Blount British Car Club. Will email you contact info.

Mickey

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome Barney!
Your website has been a great help with my MGA project and also my other British cars.
Regards
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

dklawson

Yoda
Welcome Barney.

Like many who have already posted, I met you at a car show a few years ago. In my case, the NC MG Car Club's annual show in Raleigh. I look forward to your posts on this board.