• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

O/S observation

• Thread starter Deleted member 8987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8987

Today I was standing in line at the Post Office. Old guy in front of me had a Microsoft Server 2008 jacket on, and we started talking about various aspects of good, bad, and ugly of the various MS offerings.Come to find out every person in the line still uses XP, as does the cashier at the PO desk.All of us older, none of us interested in "new and improved" O/S.
Startling.

Another thing I have noticed.....FireFox....new and improved...and it su....err...is not nearly as useful as before. First, they don't allow usage with XP past 52ESR.
Then, they cut out use of older add-ons in newer versions that REALLY worked well.
AdBlockPlus, with Element Hiding Helper. Have to load old versions of FF to get them, like the version I am using now.
RIP...Remove It Permanently. Block out all sorts of annoying stuff. Yesterday I found a new function with it, where instead of RIP'ing a page or a block, you can select an ITEM and block it, and it stays blocked.
All part of the Brave New World, I'm afraid. "We don't support" this any more, so websites tell you you have to update....so you change the settings on your User-Agent Switcher, and it works just fine.
It's all hogwash. The "marketing" aspects from Windoze 10 with a "unique advertising ID" assigned to your computer, to FacePlant using cookies to track you across the web, and Amazon (Spamazon), google. They hate that we can use things like AdBlockPlus and RIP. Been to sites that will NOT let you in unless you disable your adblocker...so I close the window instead.
NOT playing the game.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
:encouragement:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Linux eliminates a ton of Windows software problems. I use the latest edition of Linux Mint 19.8 and love it! On it now. :encouragement:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Agree on Linux and Mint. I'm still on 18.3 but herself's laptop is on 19.x. She mostly uses her Mac though. I'm afraid that still leaves us with those browser problems.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Linux based has positives...but there are some user interface things that drive me nuts.

And, if you want to use comfortable browsers, you're still limited. Linux FF is different than MS FF. Never could get tabs to work right. Still with newer versions of FF you can't use old add-ons.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I've been using Chrome and it seems to work very well in Linux, I never was a Fire Fox user to any extent, actually I like the older version of Opera better. I agree there are some things in Linux it takes a little getting used to. I don't use Terminal, it gives me the impression of going back to the 80s computers by hand typing in commands! :smile-new:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I don't use terminal often but there are times it can be really handy. In fact, I find myself using it some times when I have to do some maintenance on swmbo's Mac.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've purposely remained ignorant WRT Mac O/S. An early adopter of Linux, started with the first Red Hat release. MS O/S's were a necessity (DOS 2.11 first) being that I minister to small businesses and their employees' only experience is with Windows. TOC's experience at the post office is a good example of that reticence to change.

I've built and put Linux servers into several shops, the MS workstations don't know the difference and nobody touches the servers, it's a mystery to them. The servers are tough to corrupt, updating is at my discretion and they just RUN. A couple have had uptimes of a year or more. The only downside of using terminal for me is my mixing or confusing Linux and MS commands: "ipconfig" vs. "ifconfig" etc.

Country flag
I have win 7 on my personal machines with IE11 and Chrome. Not quite as robust as when I was XP, but workable, although I am starting to see things it won't talk to because they're whatever is current for their background. Have IE11 and Edge on my work issued machine, IE because some of the software we use won't work with anything else. Edge, well it sometimes just "goes away" and it may or may not allow me to copy to/from the address line which is annoying. But "this is progress"...

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have a mixture of OS's and browsers I am running. Work computer MS 10 with Chrome, and it sucks; Home laptop linux and FF, runs well, Home desktop MS7 and FF and it runs well.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Before retiring, my situation was somewhat similar to Doc's. The last 6 years, I worked for an IBM Business Partner. We also had many Windows customers but a major part of our business was in Unix, mostly IBM's version, of course. We always recommended our Unix customers to restart their computers once a month just to clear out any "hangers on." Most of them never rebooted though because they just "didn't see the point." About that same time Microsoft ran a series of TV commercials where they claimed "Our servers can actually stay up for days at a time." Seemed like a foolish claim to me.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

I am running long-term testing on my two XP-64 machines. Mine never gets rebooted unless the power glitches. Usually more than 60 days running. Wife's is rebooted every night.

See zero differences in capabilities between the two.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Bayless said:
About that same time Microsoft ran a series of TV commercials where they claimed "Our servers can actually stay up for days at a time." Seemed like a foolish claim to me.

Laughed me arse off with that. Win NT as I recall. Still have a 'new' copy of it (with license) on a shelf here. Anyone interested? :smirk: