• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New FAA drone rules.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Just seen a couple of You tube videos on the proposed FAA drone rules.
Having seen some drone footage a while back from one of the members here. Don't remember who it was but I wondered if they would affect anyone here. They look to be very restrictive. Almost like flight school that is if you can believe the y t videos. They may also cover RC models.

Not a drone operator myself.

David

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
My son has a small company that does drone work - for commercials and movies, etc (did some work on the series Longmire). The hoops they had to go through - sheesh!

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
As one YT video points out as it becomes more difficult to fly your hobby drone to take video of your home etc. those with a commercial licence will become more in demand.

David

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
They have their place, but there is at least one operator who, when reviewing his footage discovered two reclined beach goers flipping him off on an otherwise peaceful beach at sunset.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I am registered with the FAA to fly my DJI drone (though some lawsuit negated the need for it). Interestingly, I haven't been notified of any changes for my hobby flying (for photography).
I'm very senstive about where I fly because I know how many feel about it.
My approach has been:
1) never fly over 400 feet (that's the law) - though interestingly, this can be abused since one can fly up and over a 1000' building
2) never fly into certain airspaces (near airports) - sophisticated drones have all these maps in their controllers and one gets warnings if straying into unauthorized spaces
3) I try to stay at least 100 feet above any home - there is no rule about this
4) no flying in or over public parks (National Parks are strictly off-limits) - municipalities vary on this
5) must stay in sight
6) label my DJI Mavic Pro with my FAA number and contact info.
For those that are paranoid, I try to tell them that a kid on a bicycle passing your house on the street can see more than a drone flying overhead. Still, there are those that are spoiling the hobby by getting too close (with the attendant buzzing-bee-hive sounds).

Any home I'm near in this video are of people I know.
BTW, these always look better in full-screen mode at YouTube (where the resolutions kicks up to 4K HD soon).

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Just watched a video on the proposed new rules. One is tricky... "in furtherance of a business." Hmmm.
Most look like common sense.

If over 250 grams one must be at least 16 years old (which will only cover small, toy drones).

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Pity about the National park rule. You could probable get some great footage in National parks.
They seem to have some strange rules for National parks. The local park was a State park and was a favorite site for 5 K charity runs. Last year it was made a National park and now Road Races are not allowed?? These are runners on foot not motor cycles or cars.

David

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I often see video on TV over parks that is clearly not legal (but I'm not complaining - nice videography).

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Drones will disrupt wild life in the parks and that's a no no, but some people abuse that and could care less about protecting nature! Drones have their place, which is still being determined and rules are getting stiffer, due to the misuse of them. Saw one once over a car show with a lot of people attending, what would happen if it quit and fell on a adult or small child, it could cause serious damage, how about one dropping on a 50K + car! That is just a small example and not considering the privacy invasions that have been recorded. Flying them at airports and disrupting aircraft operations! If I see one on my property, it won't be there long, a 12 gauge will fix that problem and I don't give a hoot who owns it! :livid: