• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sprite Petronix Electronic Ignition

Olivia0424

Freshman Member
Hello all

I have a Sprite and ordered the positive earth electronic ignition for the 1275cc i have. The instructions said I needed non-solid spark plug wires. I'm unsure what that means. Could anyone please help by explaining or maybe providing a brand a model of the wires.

Thanks!

dklawson

Yoda
They are saying to not use solid (wire) core spark plug wires. They want you to use resistor wires. Resistor wires typically have a center that looks like it is made up of a bunch of carbon fibers.

You should be able to get what you need from any of the usual vendors (BP Northwest, VB, Moss, TRF, etc). Just look for "resistor wires", not "solid core".

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I did the same conversion and it's worked out well... but I still carry the original dizzy in a toolkit in the car. :rolleye:

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I did the same conversion and it's worked out well... but I still carry the original dizzy in a toolkit in the car. :rolleye:

Wise choice.. either that or carry a 2nd pertronix for when the first one fails.

I went to a CRANE unit over 10 years ago after my pertronix failed. I admit the failure to be my fault. I installed it in such a manner that the rotor rubbed the wires inside the dizzy and that caused the wire to break........ but it was a $250 tow bill. I have heard of other failures with the pertronix though, but NEVER once a CRANE failure. It is now the FAST XR700.

OP
O

Olivia0424

Freshman Member
Thank you all for the suggestions. This is the first time I rebuild an engine on my own. So far it has been a lot of fun and a great learning experience. Look forward to sharing some pics once its done.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Not sure but give Moss a call on their 800 number and they can tell you.

dklawson

Yoda
Wise choice.. either that or carry a 2nd pertronix for when the first one fails.
I went to a CRANE unit over 10 years ago after my pertronix failed.

I have had a Crane failure.

I had the Crane/Alison ignition on the GT6 for years. I washed the engine bay one day. The remote amplifier got water in it and failed. You could say getting water in it was my fault but the amplifier was supposed to be potted to protect the electronics. The GT6 now has a Pertronix module.

The OP said he bought a Pertronix ignition, not a distributor. Therefore a complete spare distributor in the boot may not be an option. Carrying a spare Pertronix is obviously possible but expensive. For a lot less money you can carry a set of points and condenser in the boot. You can install those whenever necessary to get home.

There is one warning that should be mentioned to the OP since we are talking about ignition module failures. With the Pertronix installed, never leave the key in the RUN position with the engine NOT running. This can overheat the module causing it to fail. Pertronix has warned that with the engine not running, the time the key is left in RUN position should be limited to no more than 1 to 5 minutes (different techs have told people different time limits).

Regarding the Cobalt wires, the text at Moss describes these as "spiral core". Usually that means the wires reduce ignition system noise with inductance instead of resistance. That may not do what Pertronix wants your plug wires to do. I would call Pertronix and ask about them. I have NO experience with the plug wires linked below but they are resistor wires.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6530775&cc=1204872&jsn=331

Keep in mind that if you are using a right-angle distributor cap, almost any resistor wires you find will require you to remove the crimped on terminals and insert the wire end into the cap. Most plug wire sets these days are made for the "straight" caps.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If I recall correctly I used Bosch plug wires. Some sets for VWs (bug) have right angle ends. ..

I found it's better to get a spare dizzy and set it up with points/condensor and carry that. Much easier to swap out a dizzy by the side of the road than to try to install and gap points.

YMMV

My 2¢

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I found it's better to get a spare dizzy and set it up with points/condensor and carry that. Much easier to swap out a dizzy by the side of the road than to try to install and gap points.

Definitely!