• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Facebook - curious if anyone else

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Just curious if anyone else shuns Facebook besides me? I tried it once but was REALLY put off my how much the seemed to know about me - I was getting all kinds of recommendations for "people you may know" that included people in my contacts and even people from years gone by whom I knew by never had any email communications with. Does Facebook grab information off your computer? How the heck did Facebook know all these people that I knew? Just scary, so I deleted my account. Also, in browsing around I was really depressed at the amount of hate and just nastiness I saw. Call me old fashioned, paranoid, whatever, but I'm not enamored with Facebook.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I don't shun it, exactly, but I don't get on much. I also didnt give my true name, DOB, etc.

They do ask for permission to access your contacts (which I denied) but it's not obvious from the request that they not only keep that information but sell it to others. They also do things like run facial recognition against photos that others have uploaded, to learn as much as possible about you.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Iโ€™ve never had it and donโ€™t want it. Personal contact makes more sense to me. Knowing that someone you know bought new sneakers at the mall seems ridiculous.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Iโ€™ve never had it and donโ€™t want it. Personal contact makes more sense to me. Knowing that someone you know bought new sneakers at the mall seems ridiculous.

Well, I was just about to post about my new sneakers, but now maybe I won't :welcoming:

D

Deleted member 8987

I have it, for family stuff. Never look at it, just go there when SWMBO says see what so-and-so said.I periodically go through ad delete EVERYTHING on my "page". It's stupid, waste of time and resources, and Zook is useless.Cookies can track you. You have to delete them all when you leave the page. Tracks all you do, sort of like Windoze 10, which calls it a unique advertising ID. Try posting about your sneakers, and see how many ads you get for....sneakers.I have had FBP for years that blocks all ads and kills a lot of Zook's ability to do the nasty.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Just curious if anyone else shuns Facebook besides me? I tried it once but was REALLY put off my how much the seemed to know about me - I was getting all kinds of recommendations for "people you may know" that included people in my contacts and even people from years gone by whom I knew by never had any email communications with.
That is my stance, but I have never joined. Even then, they have a whole dossier on me from unwitting members. Facebook also puts cookies on your computer from unrelated websites you visit.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I have an "interesting" story about my 24 hours as a Facebook member a year ago.

PM me if you want to hear the gory - and scary - details.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have it - maybe go on once a week. I mostly have it set for my groups - some of which are only on Facebook and a having a Facebook presence for work is somewhat helpful. I will say it is (mostly) really annoying for groups - hard to follow conversations - but it has a place in the food chain - kind of like tic tacs, small and unnecessary but when I want one it tastes OK.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I have i minimal presence for car club contact. Very rarely post anything and am constantly being offered new friends you may know. They are usually people who are friends with other people who may have contacted me at some time or not. If you have it on your phone FB may be listening in all the time.

Like the new sneakers.

David

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I do have an account but never use it. Like most of the above commenters it just seems like a waste of time and resources.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have limited use, IE: just to see pictures of family. I post about twice a year. I seem to have the settings perfect now. I get no emails, ads, or friend requests. I don't want more links. I don't want emails, I don't want ads. Fake birthday and no picture.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I have it and use it for family and friends scattered all over. Helps to keep track of grandkids and great grandkids that we don't get to see enough in person. I don't get enough extraneous stuff to bother me much.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
On the radio this morning there was this comment.

FB friends are most likely to agree with you but least likely to bring a casserole to you when you are sick or offer to walk your dog.

David

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
From another thread
3ebe2o.jpg

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I thought about going on it,but I've heard too many
bad things about it.
To get information on a lot of groups (like my old Fire Department),
Facebook is the only way to keep up.

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I joined for an hour. That was enough for me. SWMBO has it on her phone. I let her keep up with everyone and show me any good family pictures. Then she can deal with all of the garbage on FB

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've an account, bogus info (not that that guarantees much anonymity). Keeps me up on the friends & fam, scattered across the country. Also a couple groups of interest.

Much prefer forums, particularly this one.