• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 NGK Spark Plugs

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I believe most people choose Champion RN12YC or NGK BP6ES.

I'm running Pertronix carbon wires, Pertronix ignitor, top load cap, Lucas sports coil.

Currently using RN12YC gapped .032. (Those who have the same setup as I, do you gap at .025, .030, .035 ?)

I'm thinking of trying the NGK BP6ES plugs.
When doing a quick search, it seems there are two version of BP6ES...7333 and 4007. Which one should I run, and what's the difference?
Also, what should I gap the NGK plugs?

As always,
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimmyr

Country flag
Re: BJ8 NGK spark plug

I believe the different part numbers on NGK's refer to a single plug or pack of 4 plugs. I have found that the BP6ES work very well and have good quality control.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

I used NGK in my GT6 and the shop I worked for used NGK. My main plugs are Champion, cheap and regular 2 yr warranty. The Champions are not a plug you can clean and reuse after flooding or after firing up rotted fuel. NGKs are better. Autolite can be cleaned and reused with regular use.

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

Probably a rookie question but why use anything other than the plug quoted in the Haynes manual - UN12Y gapped at 0.25? Also why can't you clean and re-use the UN12Y?

I do realise that Petronix recommend increasing the gap but can't remember by how much.
AJ

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

The only Champion I've seen in The Colonies is the RN12YC; the 'C' is for copper electrode, presumably to distinguish it from the exotic metal type prevalent today, and the 'R' is for resistor (about 15KOhms by my DVM). I've used them for years with nary an issue.

I used to try to clean plugs--even bought one of the pneumatic/media tools--but heard somewhere that media blasting can remove the glaze on the ceramic insulator, possibly causing misfire. I don't know if this is an issue or even a thing, but for the price of plugs if you're going to remove them why not put in new? Plugs can easily go over 25K miles in a properly tuned engine.

There are counterfeit plugs going around (notably on eBay): http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/index.html

Note the 12YC cross-references to a BP5ES: https://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/convert/CHAMP_PN/UN12Y

Country flag

The NGKs will clean themselves if they get fouled, like getting loaded up in stop-n-go traffic. After an Italian tune up, they fire as crisp as they ever did.

Not so with Champions, I quit using them decades ago.

Apparently this is still the case, as a complimentary Champion* bit the dust in my 2-stroke McCulloch go kart engine. As soon as I replaced it with my preferred NGK, the engine fired right off!

* Champion plug provided to me by a fellow vintage karter at an event last year; carrying more spares now (will be interesting to see if I need them ;) )

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Perhaps we should install NGK plugs in our brains since they "self clean" when fouled. My brain seems fouled a lot lately.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Anyone recommend using the NGK BPR6ES (7131) resistor version over the the non resistor NGK BP6ES (4007, 7333)?
Example, I needed to run carbon spark plug wires because when I switched to negative ground my Smith electronic tach didn't work correctly with copper wire.
I'm currently using Champion RN13YC, problem free. Thought I'd try the NGK out. Resistor or not?

[h=1][/h]