• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Interesting craigslist Posting

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks! I can't seem to do that.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
We had an upright piano when I was a kid, I am sure we bought it used. Somehow it made it into our basement and was seldom played. The older kids had piano lessons on it, but by the time they got to me, well I got a couple books with simple songs like Mary Had a Little Lamb and some encouragement from mom.

Anyway, we decided we wanted it out of the basement, and by that time it was well used and we were just hopeful someone would want to lug it upstairs.

An ad was placed in the paper for a free piano, it was promptly gone, and the phone rang off the hook for a week.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
for the most part you can't give them away around here. Heard a radio interview about a year ago with the owner of the last piano restorer in Toronto - he also made the point that many of these pianos being up to a century old have passed the time of viable repair/ restoration. Much like our hobby it is not financially worth the money and in their case even the money can't overcome things like inferior castings affecting sound.

Love the ad though :grin:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Like the ad, We have an Estay pump organ that will probably get the same treatment! Pretty cherry cabinet, but nobody wants it. Been in the family for 50+ years. Thought of electrifying it, but not worth the time. It's free to take away! :hammer:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Hasn't been played in 7 years Tom, been under a moving blanket in the back of my shop all this time. The wife played it, mainly around Christmas time. I think everything worked, but I wouldn't guarantee it. I know there is one key that has a slight twist in it, but I think it worked. I'll see if I can get a photo of it today. PJ

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We got our piano that we have now from a craigslist ad where someone was giving it away for free... they were super happy we came and got it as well, they were about to move as well.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I can add our player piano to the heap. The player mechanic is missing so it is an EXplayer now. It is also in the basement. Our daughter started her piano practice on it till we got a real piano.

David

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Our upright Grand is a 100+ year old piano that was my wife's piano when she was a little girl. Been dragging it around for years. (Think weโ€™re finally settled now that I'm retired from the military).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Upright piano in the house as a young kid, had to take lessons. The summer house on Lake Erie had one too. Mother played regularly. I later got a clarinet. Easier to carry. :wink:

... though, as my uncle pointed out, with a clarinet there's no place to set your beer down. :smirk:

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We have a Grand Piano that my Wife inherited it from her grandmother.
It took about six people to move it into the house.She once asked me -
"What if somebody steals it?".I had to keep from laughing.

Country flag
One of my brother's is taking my mom's baby grand. He and his wife are donating their current one to the high school he teach choir at. My mother has played from the time she was a child until the last 3-4 years. Saddest thing about aging is that it has taken that ability from her. Mind is willing, the hands not so much anymore.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'd love to drive up and get that Paul, however, I have a melodian from the the 1860s that I don't mess with so I probably don't need another keyboard laying around.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'd love to drive up and get that Paul, however, I have a melodian from the the 1860s that I don't mess with so I probably don't need another keyboard laying around.

Looking for an Organ donor are we?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

One problem is it weighs a ton and I've found no one who wants to handle it. Does Cherry wood burn well? :jester: