• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Air Filter rebates!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I bought an AC-Delco filter for my Altima a few weeks ago. Included with the filter was a coupon for a $10 rebate.

Went to the AC-Delco website link, filled out the info, and the rebate was confirmed.

Just got an email that I should receive the rebate within ten days. But the rebate will be a $10 debit card.

To activate the card, I'd have to register it online with the issuing bank. Personal info, etc., and establish a PIN number.

Issuing bank says using the card may require a temporary charge against the card of $100.00, which will be removed when the charge is verified by the issuing bank.

Bank also says that any charge over the card's limit ($10) will result in the card's cancellation and a negative report to credit bureaus.

Good grief - how the heck do you use a $10 debit card?

(This is one of many "rebate" offers I've seen that results in a debit card, not a check.)

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Run!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Good grief - how the heck do you use a $10 debit card?
Human cashiers can usually check the available balance on the card, and only charge that much against it. I've not tried it with an automated cashier yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it will work there, too. Then you either keep the remaining card balance for next time, or pay the balance of your purchase through some other means.

Watch out for the expiration date, too. Unlike paid gift cards, rebate cards can go Poof and you don't get the value.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks for the ideas. Thousands of years ago, the rebate was a check. You cash it at the store, or you deposit it at your bank.

Now the rebate requires you to activate a new prepaid debit card through the issuing bank. Not sure I want to do that ...

Interesting that the last two "debit card rebates" I received warn me that after 12 months, there's a monthly service fee. And if I don't want to add to the account after I've used the prepaid balance, there's a service fee to close the account. Jeeeeeeezzzzzz

fish-and-hook-cartoon.jpg

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Seems that most rebates are debit cards these days. Years ago I got a refund (not a rebate) from the phone company for some obscure overcharge. The refund was in the form of a check (before the debit card days) in the amount of $0.13. That's right 13 cents. I still have it somewhere. Just not worth taking it to the bank.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I got a check for something like .02 cents.I got a call asking about it.
I told them that it wasn't worth wasting the time cashing it.
They issued me a replacement one for the same amount.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
This is beginning to remind me of a few weeks ago at the air museum. Several teens bought Cokes from one of our vending machines. One can of Coke costs $1.75, so they inserted two one-dollar bills.

They'd get the Coke, but I noticed they never pulled the change from the change outlet.

I asked if they'd forgotten the quarters, and each one said "it's not worth the trouble".

eek

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That reminds me of a similar one. Back before the "turn of the century" in 1986 I was in a sailboat race from Galveston to Vera Cruz. We met with a Mexican consulate representative to get some info on what to expect and how to act in Mexico. One thing he told us was, "When you buy something you will get a lot of coins in change. Just drop them on the ground because they aren't worth carrying." The exchange rate at the time was 348 pesos to the dollar and changing hourly or sooner, usually down.