Thread: Heater Control Valve function

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heater Control Valve function

Hi there from Germany,

I have just removed my heater from under the dashboard, overhauled everything, painted it and replaced the heater control valve. To make sure it's not leaking I then connected the inlet to a garden hose and the outlet with a pressure gauge to make sure that the water pressure doesn't exceed 1.0 bar. No matter if I open the valve or close it, water is still passing through the heater with only a little difference in the flow rate.

When I do the test with air by blowing the air into the inlet with my mouth, the valve works fine. When closed, no air passes through the valve, when open, the air passes freely. So there should be no crack in the diaphragm.

Now I would like to know if the following considerations are correct:
    a) The diaphragm, which is located inside the valve and ensures that no water can flow through the valve when closed, is - as far as I remember - somehow spring-loaded and could
    therefore have a bypass function???
    b) Perhaps design related some water should always flow through the heater so that it does not become muddy and water bubbles cannot form???
    c) Third possibility: The Heater Control Valve is defective? But it's new and not leaking?!

Would be happy to hear from you!

Lutz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts

Re: Heater Control Valve function

1 bar hose pressure is probably overwhelming the rubber diaphragm. Remember the system uses 7 psi - 1/2 bar.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Heater Control Valve function

Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    1 bar hose pressure is probably overwhelming the rubber diaphragm. Remember the system uses 7 psi - 1/2 bar.
    Steve, I believe you are right. 1.0 bar might have been to much. Breathing out with pressure creates about 0.25 bar, which seems not enough to overcome the diaphragm of the valve.