• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

64 front end too high

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Barrett-Jackson is this week. I noticed this 64 Healey. Curious....What would cause the front end to be so high?

237079_Side_Profile_Web.jpg237079_Front_3-4_Web.jpg237079_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

https://barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1964-AUSTIN-HEALEY-3000-BJ8-ROADSTER-237079

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think the car is leaning to the right ??

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Both ends are too high IMO. Possibly no engine or tranny?

Between the stance and the rear view mirrors on the wrong sides, I'd be wondering what else was done wrong.....

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

Bob, what looks odd about the thermostat housing?

It is a Phase 1 BJ8 and should be even lower them a comparable Phase 2. I'd bet they installed new or re-arched springs at both ends very recently and they haven't begun to settle yet.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When I saw this last night I didn't see the link to the auction site. After looking at the pictures in the link, I think I'm right about no engine/tranny explaining the stance. If you look closely at the last picture (straight on from the front) you can see the front cross member thru the grill slats - that crossmember is behind the radiator when it's installed so I think the pictures were taken before the motor was installed (at the very least before the radiator went in). So, probably looks better now that it has some weight in it.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
When I saw this last night I didn't see the link to the auction site. After looking at the pictures in the link, I think I'm right about no engine/tranny explaining the stance. If you look closely at the last picture (straight on from the front) you can see the front cross member thru the grill slats - that crossmember is behind the radiator when it's installed so I think the pictures were taken before the motor was installed (at the very least before the radiator went in). So, probably looks better now that it has some weight in it.
Yes, that proves the engine was clearly out. The engine photo shows the engine in the car. Wonder why they didn't take photos of the outside with the engine in?

Actually, I like this one better https://barrett-jackson.com/Events/...N-HEALEY-3000-MARK-III-BJ8-CONVERTIBLE-236964, but then I know the owner and car.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Wow....! I haven't seen that one before.

Yeah, and just think, "Steves Auto Parts" put their name on that thing as they must have calculated that it would be good for business. If I owned a Healey back then it would have made me run the other way!

And they used to say that it was those crazy Californians who were butchering Healeys with all kinds of crazy mods.

Jack T

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The cross brace is visible through the grille with the rad in place. That's why the factory painted them flat black.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The cross brace is visible through the grille with the rad in place. That's why the factory painted them flat black.
Yes, you can see the angle iron cross brace is black and is in front of the where the radiator sits. But, in the picture, you can also see the crossmember that dips down in the middle to clear the crank nut and it sits behind the rad & is not visible when the rad is in place.