• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Working in a shop

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice car,but those mirrors on the front fenders sure ruin
the clean lines of the car.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hmmm, I didn't even notice the mirrors the first time but I have to agree. Shame to have to patch those holes in nicely already painted fenders. Sorry, wings. Beautiful car otherwise though.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I don't like those mirrors but I had the Lucas mirrors on one of my Healeys mounted there and liked them once I got use to them way up there.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I don't like those mirrors but I had the Lucas mirrors on one of my Healeys mounted there and liked them once I got use to them way up there.

and certainly much much more common in the UK

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Love the car, but those mirrors look like something out of Pep Boys. I flat refused to drill holes in my perfect fenders to mount fender mirrors on my TF and I still have a new pair in boxes on the shelf, had them before on another car and driving down the road they were too far away and blurry from vibration, plus kids like to grab them when parked.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm not a big fan of the mirrors either.

Paul, the guy that built it has a TC he's been sitting on for a few decades now, he bought it for a couple of hundred after a fire in the engine compartment. It has the wing mirrors on it and I always thought they came that way from the factory. Where are the mirrors on your TF located?

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Most English cars did not come from the factory with mirrors....they were fitted mostly by the selling dealers.
you may purchase a mirror that fits to the side glass if you have them!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
"Where are the mirrors on your TF located"?

Right here Walter and I love them!

View attachment 61877

I'm not a big fan of the mirrors either.

Paul, the guy that built it has a TC he's been sitting on for a few decades now, he bought it for a couple of hundred after a fire in the engine compartment. It has the wing mirrors on it and I always thought they came that way from the factory. Where are the mirrors on your TF located?

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I am ok with the mirror location, but would look better with a traditional flat Lucas fender mirror (which needs to have convex glass to work way out there) rather than the bullet type.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
First MGB I owned had the convex mirror out on the drivers' side wing. Never liked it. When I did this latest B the mirror was removed from close to the windscreen and put a flat glass, aluminum finish Walpres 30560 astride the re-enforced "crack of doom" on the drivers' door. Double duty as it were. The S3 Elan has a Talbot on the door.

And I understand Walt's feelings about missing shop time now and then.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
RayDot/Cobra mirrors do not look good on British cars. Don't they take two holes each for mounting? Windshield wing mirrors are easier to see with, especially the old guys. I still have the stem convex mirrors on my MK1 Jag but also the the small mirrors mounted on door frame. Hard to see those fender mirrors, especially if there is any vibration from road or tires. But, then each has their own ways of doing things. Agree about shop time, still hard to focus on the cars with the wife retired too, always finds something else needing done. Should have hired contractors years ago, but then wouldn't be able to afford the cars now.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I disagree Larry, I think they can look good but it is all about location. My spitfire had a Walpres bullet style mirror on the driver's door and it looked pretty good. If it had been out on the fender though, it would have been kinda strange looking.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I had two Spits and yes they looked good on my 1500, not so much on my 64 Spit MK1, but fender mirrors, I think, would have been useless on a Spit hood just from vibration alone. I don't think the RayDots look good on an early 60s car, not period.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Ahh, yeah, I think we can all agree that they are not the best choice on the above AH.