• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 5 speed conversion

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think it is. It is one of the best improvements I’ve done to my 6.
I purchased the HVDA kit and sourced a w58 transmission.
It makes driving on the highway easier.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Just about to install an OD transmission in my TR3A. I found an old TR3 transmission with OD and had it overhauled.

I am hoping it will make highway driving more enjoyable.

David

Herk

Freshman Member
Country flag
Look at it another way, if you don't mind the car on the highway as-is, an overdrive or 5th gear means you can regear the rear axle to 4.1 in place of the 3.7 factory gears. Same top speed, much improved everything else.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have converted one TR3 and 2TR4s to the HVDA Toyota 5 speed trannys. Most of my driving is open road with a fair mix of freeway. It is so great to reduce the rpm's even in town or on the freeway. I will add that I also converted the rear axle to 3.45 gears. That conversion is good but not worth the cost.
I have gotten so used to the lower RPM's, even in town I use 5th gear most anytime I am over 45 MPH..

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I love my overdrive transmission, use it on the highway of course, but also in town if driving over 45 or so for any appreciable distance. If my ultimate goal was performance and reliability I would certainly put in a modern 5 speed, as they weigh less than an O/D unit and are probably a little more robustly built and reliable. But if my ultimate goal were performance and reliability I could sell my TR250, buy a Miata or whatever, and have change leftover.

Having the extra gear reduction is nice whether you get it through a 5 speed or an overdrive, the extra tall gearing is not needed in a TR as much as it is in a Spitfire or Midget, but still a welcome addition. Preference for the overdrive unit or a modern five speed is just that, preference. I always wanted a car with electric overdrive when I was young, still get a kick out of flicking the switch and feeling the revs drop.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Biggest reason
That oil spot in the garage will be gone

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
One of the oil spots will be gone.
I like the HVDA conversion also.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Less heat production from the Toyota conversion also. The original gearshift is always hot, not so on the Toyota conversion. In the summer, it makes a big difference. I would like a 5th speed for my old mini, but then again, not enough power to go up a hill at lower rpm.

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
There is a company here in Australia called "Dellow" that makes/made bellhousings to suit toyota. There was a NOS advertised by a private seller last week.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Put a A type in my 60TR3A and totally trans formed the drivability of the car. If you do any highway or over 45 mph driving you'll appreciate an overdrive of any kind. My preference for the A Type is driving through the hills and shifting all the time throwing that electric switch was much more pleasing and fun then all that shifting. Makes you fell like you got one over something. Originality comes into play too with some. But if your car was not a factory overdrive you can hide the fact that you have a Toyota tranny buy using a Triumph logo shift knob. I now have an Atype and a Jtype ready to go into my TR250 and TR6.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
So you use the OD as a 5 gear on the highway.

Just got mine installed and did the first test drive. I will do a couple more drives then put the interior back in the car. So far everything is good.

David

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I don't mind shifting. My daily drivers for the last twenty+ years have all had 5 or 6 speed gearboxes. Thirty years ago I had a Series II Land Rover with a manual overdrive - talk about shifting! It could work on all fours speeds. When I drive the TR I find myself frequently reaching for the non-existent fifth gear, so I will be installing the HVDA kit this spring. If my commission plate end with an "O" it might be a different story. BTW it uses the stock TR shift lever so need to buy a new knob. I did however buy a nice new black knob with the correct 5 speed pattern. Until you look very closely it appears stock.

One thing I'll say for the W58 - I don't see many forum posts bitching about how its not working.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My W58 has been nothing but a pleasure to drive. When I bought the car I checked the commission number and saw that it included the factory overdrive. After I got it home I discovered that at some point in its life the original overdrive was removed!
It's all good now.

OldGuy51

Freshman Member
Country flag
Dont you find that Finding a Toyota W-58 is almost impossible , Asking price is absurd ! Then if its outta the car try to prove it is a W-58 to begin with. Not that people lie , but if they dont kow for sure that should be what comes outta their mouth. Youd think "Asian" would have the secret. What has to be change to use a MX5 5 speed ?

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Jim Cox has W58's in KY. 502-376-9149. With guarantee. I have the HVDA installed but have not driven yet. With the wife in the car on the road I believe it will be better (for her). Bruce