• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Carpet and upholstery installation

Gene Schwarting

Freshman Member
I am restoring a 59 TR3, which came with NO interior. I have purchased new carpet and interior kits, which came with no instructions and would appreciate directions. I have done other cars, but TR3's are definitely unique. Are there resources or videos available? Suggestions appreciated.

Gene

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
SANY0005.jpgI just did mine. Carpets are easy, just lots of contact cement. I also put "Killmat" under the carpet for sound and heat. Definitely recommend over the hump to keep your right leg cool. Vinyl is another story. Difficult locations are the wheel well covers and the curved piece right behind the door. Put a pad under the wheel well cover so it will stretch flat. The curved piece (name?) required a lot of heat and patience. I never did get mine perfect. You should be able to locate lots of previous posts on this subject.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am super happy with the Dynamat that I installed across the entire floor and firewall of the car. The sound deadening was definitely worth the effort. And reduction of exhaust heat. Thin stuff, lined with a heavy aluminum foil. Easy to install.

Leatherman

Country flag
Gene, I ran across a u tube video last summer that covered the process of installing the upholstery kit. Sorry I cant give you a link but if you go to u tube and do some searching on installing upholstery on a TR3 I’m sure you will find it. I will be doing mine in a couple of months too and I will be looking it up as well. Who’s kit did you get?

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
+1 on John’s excellent tutorial. Like him, I went with John Skinner. Prices were actually cheaper for what you get from the big three over here, at least last year. I also sprung for the thin padding for the wheel well from Macy’s garage.

There’s also a few clips on YouTube . I’d like to show you mine, but I’m still reassembling the mechanicals!

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
another +1 on John's thread. I refereed to it over and over as I went through my interior rebuild. He has step by step photos and directions for almost all the interior.
I also used the kit from John Skinner but could not get along with his seat padding (Foam material) so I got the Roadster factory padding kit which I found much easier to work with. There was some thin fabric backed foam in the Skinner kit that was intended for the seat cushion. I used that to pad the rear wheel wells.

David

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Oh, yes I forgot that... I also substituted the TRF horsehair for the Skinner foam!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
The doglegs behind the doors can be a bear to get looking good. Geo Hahn made a jig to hold the dogleg from a 3/4" board. It works great and makes it much easier to get them wrinkle free. I did mine in leather and and some heat and water got everything to stretch jut fine. The red one is mine.

dogleg1.jpg dogleg2.jpg dogleg3.jpg dogleg5.jpg

Leatherman

Country flag
I went with Roadster Factory for my bright red leather kit. The leather has a pretty heavy print to it compared to the matching vinyl. It is also a brighter red than what I was expecting. More orangey than what was in my car. I’m on the fence as whether I like the color or not. I don’t like the difference in grain between the leather and vinyl. Anyone can tell me if the 60’s cars had a heavy grain to the leather back then?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Art,
When covering the dog leg piece did you work the leather until it formed over the metal and only then apply glue? Was the material then cool and dry before the glue went on?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Art,
When covering the dog leg piece did you work the leather until it formed over the metal and only then apply glue? Was the material then cool and dry before the glue went on?

I applied the glue first. I'm pretty sure it was 3M Super 77 (although it might have been Super 90). Right after applying the glue on both the metal and some on the leather...not where you grab the excess leather to stretch. I used a heat gun and water (in a spray bottle) to stretch the leather onto the metal. After it dried, I trimmed the excess, folded the leather over the back and glued it down. I used some Welwood contact cement that came in a small jar with an applicator brush inside for that.