• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mystery airplane!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OK aviation fans - What is this, and in what film did it appear? Note the needle on the nose.

Mystery airplane.jpg

Bonus points: What film was it used in? What author, after seeing the film, wanted his name *removed* from the credits? What actress from Bemidji Minnesota makes a brief flash-back appearance in the film?

Tom M.

dklawson

Yoda
Jane Russell in "Fate is the Hunter", 1964. According to Wikipedia the plane was a mock up made from a DC7b and a 707.

dklawson

Yoda
Ernest K. Gann wrote the original book. He wanted his name removed because he was displeased with the screenplay which he said did not follow his plot. He said later that an unfortunate side effect was that having his name removed deprived him of residuals.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Bingo. If you compare the film to Gann's book, it's almost 180 degrees different. The book is one of the best descriptions of flying I (not a pilot) have ever read. His life in early commercial and military aviation is fascinating, and his ability to tell the details of the flying experience, is exceptional.

Flying through a thunderstorm while staring at a lighted match - fantastic.

Also liked the film Island in the Sky. Another good Gann book, but this time well done.

https://www.allmovie.com/movie/v96788

Thanks.
Tom M.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I liked Island In The Sky, I thought the movie was well done. :encouragement:

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I liked Island In The Sky, I thought the movie was well done. :encouragement:

Paul - remember the scene where, after the crash, a pilot gets lost while searching for food. During a blizzard he goes snow-blind and wanders in a circle until he collapses. Next morning crew finds his frozen body - and he was only about 100 feet from the aircraft all the time.

Good cast too. John Wayne, Andy Devine, Lloyd Nolan, Dwayne Hickman (!), Carl ("Alfalfa") Switzer, etc. First (only?) movie I've ever seen where John Wayne isn't a tough macho guy; he shows fear in many scenes.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Might sound crazy but, I remember having a cold feeling watching it, thinking what it would be like in that situation, not a nice thought. Always fly South in the Winter and North only in the Summer! :encouragement: :grin:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I read Fate is the Hunter many years ago and still have the book on my overladen bookshelves. Those early airline pilots were a brave lot indeed. Flying a DC3 through an ice storm in Tennessee at night, almost hitting the Taj Mahal, a near miss over Staten Island at night, possible sabotage in South America. Today, airline pilots are systems managers. That's one reason the pay scale has gone down.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I loved the book but always felt it had to be a compilation of aviation stories he had heard along with his own experiences. One person could not be that lucky to have dogged so many bullets.

If I remember correctly he started his commercial flying career after an incident flying at a state fare in Macon Georgia. I can not find the copy I have at the moment to check that out.

David

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"First (only?) movie I've ever seen where John Wayne isn't a tough macho guy; he shows fear in many scenes."

One of those rare outings where he got to act.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Arriving at PBI in West Palm, we hired a Uber to drive us to our car in Boynton Beach. Turned out he was an American Airlines pilot volunteering one day a week to drive for nothing, sending his portion of the fees to the Wounded Warriors project. He flies to Barcelona at least twice a week. We talked a bit of flying. He thought the Boeing situation was a travesty and agreed that they should leave recovering from a potential stall up to the pilot not a computer.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
that they should leave recovering from a potential stall up to the pilot not a computer.

Amen! We learn that in PPL instruction for pete's sake. It's a basic of flight training.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Pilots have been reduced to Computer Input Devices. Predator drones as evidence.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
A retired AA pilot friend of mine to me:

"Next thing you know, the cockpit will only have one human and one chimpanzee. Chimpanzee's purpose is to keep the human from touching any of the controls. Human's purpose is to feed the chimpanzee."

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Pilots have been reduced to Computer Input Devices. Predator drones as evidence.

Bas, feel free to delete this if it crosses the line. I mean absolutely no disrespect with this, but the situation in the armed forces is going to move further and further away from combat duty and more towards technology as this situation evolves.
At some point in time there is going to be a guy in a dark room on an Airforce base, eating cheetos, flying a drone strike, and he will receive a purple heart for carpal tunnel.