• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Body Parts Code

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello, Healeyphiles -

During assembly of the bodies of Healeys at Jensen Motors, a number was stamped in three places: on the fixed part of the bonnet latch, just in front of the radiator; on the driver's side bonnet flange to which the hinge is bolted (LHD cars. Maybe passenger's side for RHD, but I don't know), and on the tab on the underside of the boot lid to which the prop rod is attached. This number generally has a preceding letter followed by one, two, or three numerical digits (e.g., P429). The general consensus is that these numbers were stamped to ensure that the parts so stamped stayed with the car during subsequent disassembly/reassembly of the parts at Abingdon (e.g., removal of a bonnet to install the engine) because Jensen matched and adjusted them for best fit with the chassis.

As a part of the BJ8 Registry's contribution to our knowledge and understanding of how things were done at the factory, I have been documenting as many as possible of these numbers (which I call the "body parts code"). My initial goal was to see if there was a pattern that could be used to identify the car that originally had that part. Unfortunately, as with so much of this data, there is no strict correlation between increasing body parts code numbers and the chassis numbers, but it is possible to get pretty close. The more of these numbers I can document, the better the results will be.

I have a rather early BJ7 (20111) that has the body parts code A936. The earliest BJ8s have the letter E (the 10th BJ8 chassis, 25324, has E10). I need more information about when these numbers started (model, body parts code). It is also helpful to document the batch and body numbers from the body plate in the top center of the firewall.

I am requesting that you send this information to me if you would like to participate in this project to increase our collective knowledge. For all 3000s, I would like:
Chassis number from VIN plate
Batch and body numbers from body plate
Body parts code from latch, hinge, and boot lid
If you know the build date(s) of the car, that would be helpful, too.

Please send direct to me at: sbyers@ec.rr.com

Thanks!
Steve Byers
BJ8 Registry

Attachments

• 36666 - bonnet latch (P429).jpg
    36666 - bonnet latch (P429).jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Q373 (37592).JPG
    Q373 (37592).JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 39629 - boot lid (C104 - not original).jpg
    39629 - boot lid (C104 - not original).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 130
OP
BJ8Healeys

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello, Healeyphiles -

As a part of the BJ8 Registry's contribution to our knowledge and understanding of how things were done at the factory, I have been documenting as many as possible of these numbers (which I call the "body parts code"). My initial goal was to see if there was a pattern that could be used to identify the car that originally had that part. Unfortunately, as with so much of this data, there is no strict correlation between increasing body parts code numbers and the chassis numbers, but it is possible to get pretty close. The more of these numbers I can document, the better the results will be.

I am requesting that you send this information to me if you would like to participate in this project to increase our collective knowledge. For all 3000s, I would like:
Chassis number from VIN plate
Batch and body numbers from body plate
Body parts code from latch, hinge, and boot lid
If you know the build date(s) of the car, that would be helpful, too.

Please send direct to me at: sbyers@ec.rr.com

Thanks!
Steve Byers
BJ8 Registry

Really, Forum Members? After 11 days and 184 views of my post and request for data, there has been exactly ONE response to my request. Why? Wasn't I clear enough about what I wish to get and what the data can do for the Healey community? Can't we do better than that?

OP
BJ8Healeys

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Your email link does not work for me. I found E49 in the boot.

Don't know what that problem is, Tahoe Healey. When I click on the link, it opens a new email message to myself. Did you try typing it into an email yourself?

Steve

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I sent my information to you about an hour ago. but the body number plates are not on the car. I am pretty sure they are in a box somewhere but I have not found them yet. I did give you the VIN number which I know you have in your records already.
Jerry