Thread: Body Parts Code

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Body Parts Code

Hello, Healeyphiles -

During assembly of the bodies of Healeys at Jensen Motors, a number was stamped in three places: on the fixed part of the bonnet latch, just in front of the radiator; on the driver's side bonnet flange to which the hinge is bolted (LHD cars. Maybe passenger's side for RHD, but I don't know), and on the tab on the underside of the boot lid to which the prop rod is attached. This number generally has a preceding letter followed by one, two, or three numerical digits (e.g., P429). The general consensus is that these numbers were stamped to ensure that the parts so stamped stayed with the car during subsequent disassembly/reassembly of the parts at Abingdon (e.g., removal of a bonnet to install the engine) because Jensen matched and adjusted them for best fit with the chassis.

As a part of the BJ8 Registry's contribution to our knowledge and understanding of how things were done at the factory, I have been documenting as many as possible of these numbers (which I call the "body parts code"). My initial goal was to see if there was a pattern that could be used to identify the car that originally had that part. Unfortunately, as with so much of this data, there is no strict correlation between increasing body parts code numbers and the chassis numbers, but it is possible to get pretty close. The more of these numbers I can document, the better the results will be.

I have a rather early BJ7 (20111) that has the body parts code A936. The earliest BJ8s have the letter E (the 10th BJ8 chassis, 25324, has E10). I need more information about when these numbers started (model, body parts code). It is also helpful to document the batch and body numbers from the body plate in the top center of the firewall.

I am requesting that you send this information to me if you would like to participate in this project to increase our collective knowledge. For all 3000s, I would like:
    Chassis number from VIN plate
    Batch and body numbers from body plate
    Body parts code from latch, hinge, and boot lid
    If you know the build date(s) of the car, that would be helpful, too.

Please send direct to me at: sbyers@ec.rr.com

Thanks!
    Steve Byers
    BJ8 Registry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Byers
    HBJ8L/36666
    BJ8 Registry
    Havelock, NC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Re: Body Parts Code

Quote Originally Posted by BJ8Healeys View Post
    Hello, Healeyphiles -

As a part of the BJ8 Registry's contribution to our knowledge and understanding of how things were done at the factory, I have been documenting as many as possible of these numbers (which I call the "body parts code"). My initial goal was to see if there was a pattern that could be used to identify the car that originally had that part. Unfortunately, as with so much of this data, there is no strict correlation between increasing body parts code numbers and the chassis numbers, but it is possible to get pretty close. The more of these numbers I can document, the better the results will be.

I am requesting that you send this information to me if you would like to participate in this project to increase our collective knowledge. For all 3000s, I would like:
    Chassis number from VIN plate
    Batch and body numbers from body plate
    Body parts code from latch, hinge, and boot lid
    If you know the build date(s) of the car, that would be helpful, too.

Please send direct to me at: sbyers@ec.rr.com

Thanks!
    Steve Byers
    BJ8 Registry
    Really, Forum Members? After 11 days and 184 views of my post and request for data, there has been exactly ONE response to my request. Why? Wasn't I clear enough about what I wish to get and what the data can do for the Healey community? Can't we do better than that?
    Steve Byers
    HBJ8L/36666
    BJ8 Registry
    Havelock, NC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Your email link does not work for me. I found E49 in the boot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe healey View Post
    Your email link does not work for me. I found E49 in the boot.
    Don't know what that problem is, Tahoe Healey. When I click on the link, it opens a new email message to myself. Did you try typing it into an email yourself?

Steve
    Steve Byers
    HBJ8L/36666
    BJ8 Registry
    Havelock, NC

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Too cold where I am right now. Ask again when it warms up !
    Bob

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I sent my information to you about an hour ago. but the body number plates are not on the car. I am pretty sure they are in a box somewhere but I have not found them yet. I did give you the VIN number which I know you have in your records already.
    Jerry