• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

ebay sign in problem?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
This started a few weeks ago.

Sign in to ebay (username and password), check "stay signed in", do some browsing, check on items I'm selling, check on shipping status of some recent purchases, all is well.

Go back to ebay an hour later, ebay says to sign in. Ebay says "looks like you're using a different computer. Click here to get a phone call from us with verification code."

I click to get the phone call, phone rings, ebay screen changes to "we're having technical problems".

I get the four digit verification code, but there's no box to enter the code. After a few seconds, the "enter code" box appears. I enter the code - ebay says "Code sent too many times. Please wait 24 hours to try again."

Try again, this time choosing "sign in with Google account". Click to use Google account, get window that says "Call us at 1-866-643-1607 and mention security code 87020. This is not the same confirmation code to confirm your account."

I call the number; phone rings and I hear "you have reached a non-working number".

This has happened several times in the last few weeks.

Sound familiar?

yeesh

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Haven't had that problem so far. Do you know if you have a static or dynamic IP address?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
No problem logging in here. Do you have your browser set to delete cookies when you close the browser?

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks gents. It's not the browser or the IP causing the problem: if I call the number given by ebay, I get "You have reached a non-working number". And ebay itself says they're having technical problems when I hit that page.

When I was listening to the ebay call with the verification code, I actually got a *second* ebay call (call waiting) with another code, even tho' I had only used the "call me" one time.

The fun continues!

Edit: just tried the procedures again 6:45am EST. Soon as I enter username and password, I get the "call customer service at [FONT=&quot]1-866-643-1607" message. Call that number, and get "You have reached a non-working number".

oy

[/FONT]

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
According to https://gethuman.com/phone-number/eBay
643-1607 is the "fraud detection department". There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'll just suggest calling the main customer disservice number, 866-540-3229, and see if they can clear the "possible fraud" flag on your account.

FWIW, I bought something for the first time in a long time just a few days ago, and had no trouble logging in, etc. Just now, when I checked, it at first showed there were 3 items in my cart (there weren't), and then suddenly logged me out when I tried to check on them. So obviously there is some sort of confusion going on. But for me, it all seemed to clear up when I logged in again.

Totally unrelated, but fun : the price on the item I bought jumped from $1.28 (with free shipping) to over $7.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Randall. Almost funny that the "fraud telephone number" is a non-working number.

After myriad menu choices, I finally got a "report sign in problem" choice. Result: call 1-866-643-1607.

Call the number. "You have reached a non-working number".

Would be interested in someone else would try that number and see where it leads.

grumble grumble

also, note:

https://downdetector.com/status/ebay/map/

Ebay may not be "down" - but parts of it aren't working in some geographic locations.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Far as I know, when having problems on Ebay, done thru personal e-mail contact not a phone call. Same with PayPal. Even Amazon calls you, you don't call them. I had a problem with a laptop once and I got a phone call from someone who asked if they can help. I asked if they were from Dell, and said I would call them back. Number given was not legit and Dell had no record. Be careful at this time, the hacksters are really busy now, since the Holidays are over, they are hitting hard as people aren't watching there accounts closely.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I use Ebay fairly often from two computers and my phone as I buy and sell quite a few watches on there and have never had a similar issue. I like Randall's idea of calling the main customer service number, there is something that seems hinky with the "fraud number."

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Finally reached a human, but only by saying "fraud" several times to the phone system customer service number; there's no phone system choice for "fraud". Human said my account had been locked due to not being logged in since last May. (I'd logged in to ebay several dozen times since May).

Human transferred me to Fraud department, who said the same thing. I told them it's wrong, but got no response, other than his asking for some account info and then saying "I've unblocked your account". I asked him about that 1607 number, and he said "the number you called is correct". I explained that ebay's system gave me an ebay webpage with the 1607 number on it, and he said that might be a typo. Good grief.

Now it works fine - but this is ridiculous. Interesting thing about today's phone help trees and multiple-choice web pages: you go through so much to try to find help, you can't remember all the choices you made along the way.

only one grumble this time ...

Tom M.