• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Is there a Delrin bush available for the top of TR3 steering column instead of felt?

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The Moss and TRF catalogs list a felt bush for the top end of the TR3 steering column. Felt soon crushes down so I'd like to replace it with something other than felt. Is there a source for a piece of Delrin that would replace the felt? Thanks!
Bob

TR-3rg

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi,
Revington has one, P/N RTR 3492. Its a tight fit, it takes about 500 miles to wear in. One problem is it has two 1/4" diameter tabs that stick out. If you drill your steering tube for them, they are visible. I rebuilt my steering box and shaft last spring. What a difference in the car!

Good Luck, Roy G.

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Unfortunately, Revington uses Fedex (or similar) rapid delivery service for international shipping, and the cost is thus truly painful.
Moss-USA, Moss-Europe, and TRF do not carry the 7/8" ID bushing for the non-adjustable TR2 TR3 steering column (at the top end) - so home-made is the way to go.

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Roy (TR-3rg), I finally got the Delrin upper steering column bush p/n RTR3492 from Revington. I have a question about installation. Does it get installed flush with the top of the outer steering column or does it need to be recessed a bit to match up with the larger section of the inner column shaft. I have mine all apart so I can't tell where it needs to set in the outer column. Thanks!
Bob

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My son and I got the Rimmer top bush installed in my TR3. We drilled holes for the rubber nipples to hold to the steering column so the bush would not turn in the column. We put it in flush with the top of the outer steering column. The inner shaft is quite tight in the bush, but not bad. Hopefully it will wear in a bit in not too long a time. Much better than the felt. And the price for one bush plus shipping by Royal mail was less than one lower Delrin bush from Moss.
Bob

TR-3rg

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi Bob,

I was on vacation for a coupe of days. I set mine flush with the top of the steering tube. It first, it was pretty tight, like the steering wheel had a brake on it. Its real nice now with 500 miles on it.

Roy

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A Differance between the new Delrin Ctr bush and the original Silentbloc bush Triumph 2
K TR2/3/3A Rear leaf spring brass and Delrin bushings ? Triumph 4
S TR2/3/3A Delrin bushing and I am having a problem Triumph 13
GTP1960 TR2/3/3A Brass /delrin bushings on rear spring shackle? Triumph 3
K TR2/3/3A Bronze and delrin rear spring bushes. Triumph 0
I TR6 Installation of Delrin steering column bushings Triumph 3
BobbyD Delrin Steering Column Bushings Triumph 2
AUSMHLY BJ8 Clutch Fork Bush Replacement Austin Healey 5
Got_All_4 TR6 2nd Gear Bush Problem TR6 Looking at Steel Triumph 12
AUSMHLY Spigot Bush, Pilot Bushing Removal Austin Healey 4
AUSMHLY Clutch Pilot Bush: NOS vs Aftermarket Austin Healey 8
K TR2/3/3A Aftermarket Distributor Points and Terminal Bush leads? Triumph 1
warwick-steve Throttle shaft bearing/bush on bulkhead Austin Healey 9
K TR2/3/3A Front suspension inner Lower wishbone bush area? Triumph 3
T TR2/3/3A Missing bush Triumph 4
G BJ-7 Center Shift Gear Lever and bush Austin Healey 4
B Transmission rear bush for drive shaft yoke - no joke! Spridgets 2
Jeepster Lower wishbone bush replacement. Austin Healey 33
Lutz Kramer Steering box and idler bush Austin Healey 4
K TR2/3/3A What is best way to remove old nylon/rubber bush 525-020 from steering box shaft? Triumph 5
B TR2/3/3A trunnion bush clearance Triumph 2
L Sway Bar / Anti Roll bar bush replacement 100/6 Austin Healey 7
TulsaFred Bugeye Generator rear bush issue Spridgets 8
K TR4/4A Gearbox input shaft pilot bush.... Triumph 4
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A Tr3 front suspension re-bush, what's good out there Triumph 15
GTP1960 TR2/3/3A Removing the silentbloc rubber pieces. From the steering linkage bush Triumph 7
B Lower Steering Column Bush - Where does it go and how? Austin Healey 14
K TR2/3/3A Ovalled bush hole in lower A arm front suspension. Triumph 1
T TR2/3/3A Steering Column Felt Bush, Additional Bush, Rubber Washers, etc. Triumph 8
S TR2/3/3A re-bush the rockers Triumph 11
T TR2/3/3A Failure in the bush Triumph 18
bighealeysource replaving bush and bearing on generator ? Austin Healey 8
K TR2/3/3A Lower wishbone inner steel bush rusted to spindle? Triumph 2
Intrisk BJ8 Front suspension screwed bush housing / threaded bush housing re-assembly gap Austin Healey 1
bugedd Felt bush replace in steering column Spridgets 14
A SU throttle shaft and bush dilemma - advice? Triumph 41
pkmh Sheared Bolt - Sway Bar Bush Strap to Chassis Austin Healey 29
L Speedometer pinion bush joint washer Spridgets 1
glemon TR5/TR250 TR250/6 Rear Trailing Arm Bush Options Triumph 39
ekamm TR2/3/3A tr3 steering colmn felt bush Triumph 5
Tinkerman TR 3 Upper Column Felt Bush Triumph 7
glemon TR5/TR250 TR250/6 accelerator shaft bush Triumph 5
Tabcon Rear leaf spring bush size? Triumph 21
T Bugeye rear bush question - bolt is stuck and am I Spridgets 12
glemon Polyurethane Bush Lube Triumph 8
T Question on TRF steering bush rebuild kit Triumph 11