Thread: Is there a Delrin bush available for the top of TR3 steering column instead of felt?

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Is there a Delrin bush available for the top of TR3 steering column instead of felt?

The Moss and TRF catalogs list a felt bush for the top end of the TR3 steering column. Felt soon crushes down so I'd like to replace it with something other than felt. Is there a source for a piece of Delrin that would replace the felt? Thanks!
    Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: Is there a Delrin bush available for the top of TR3 steering column instead of fe

Hi,
    Revington has one, P/N RTR 3492. Its a tight fit, it takes about 500 miles to wear in. One problem is it has two 1/4" diameter tabs that stick out. If you drill your steering tube for them, they are visible. I rebuilt my steering box and shaft last spring. What a difference in the car!

Good Luck, Roy G.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: Is there a Delrin bush available for the top of TR3 steering column instead of fe

Thanks Roy!! I didn't think to try Revington. That is exactly what I'm looking for.
    Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I made mine one on my lathe out a teflon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Unfortunately, Revington uses Fedex (or similar) rapid delivery service for international shipping, and the cost is thus truly painful.
    Moss-USA, Moss-Europe, and TRF do not carry the 7/8" ID bushing for the non-adjustable TR2 TR3 steering column (at the top end) - so home-made is the way to go.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Roy (TR-3rg), I finally got the Delrin upper steering column bush p/n RTR3492 from Revington. I have a question about installation. Does it get installed flush with the top of the outer steering column or does it need to be recessed a bit to match up with the larger section of the inner column shaft. I have mine all apart so I can't tell where it needs to set in the outer column. Thanks!
    Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rimmer Brothers seems to have the upper bushing as well.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

My son and I got the Rimmer top bush installed in my TR3. We drilled holes for the rubber nipples to hold to the steering column so the bush would not turn in the column. We put it in flush with the top of the outer steering column. The inner shaft is quite tight in the bush, but not bad. Hopefully it will wear in a bit in not too long a time. Much better than the felt. And the price for one bush plus shipping by Royal mail was less than one lower Delrin bush from Moss.
    Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hi Bob,

I was on vacation for a coupe of days. I set mine flush with the top of the steering tube. It first, it was pretty tight, like the steering wheel had a brake on it. Its real nice now with 500 miles on it.

Roy