• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BN4 Locking Door Handle Removal Suggestions

Kainopong

Hoping someone can help - I want to re-key my drivers side door lock to match my ignition and boot and struggling to find a way to get the nut off of the screw in the back portion of the handle. The screw and nut accessible when you open the handle is no problem. Its that second one that is the issue. Do I have to remove the handle to re-key?
If so and anyone has a slick solution please advise!

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You will have to remove the handle to rekey. There is a pin inside the door that has to be removed to extract the lock cylinder. I didn't bother. I learned when I was stationed in Hawaii to never lock the door on a roadster or convertible.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You will have to remove the handle to rekey. There is a pin inside the door that has to be removed to extract the lock cylinder. I didn't bother. I learned when I was stationed in Hawaii to never lock the door on a roadster or convertible.

Ditto.....

RMMR Corkscrew.jpg

OP
K

Kainopong

I was able to remove the nut with some difficulty and get the handle out! While not looking forward to re-installing that nut will re-key and get the missing gasket on and re-install. Thanks gents! John

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My guess....becuase you can just cut through the canvas soft top with a butter knife.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hey John, why is that?
Because it's too easy to slash the top, and replacement tops had to be shipped from overseas. I know you know how hard it is to get a new top installed on a BJ8. If I had to have anything in the car, I would lock it in the trunk.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Because it's too easy to slash the top, and replacement tops had to be shipped from overseas. I know you know how hard it is to get a new top installed on a BJ8. If I had to have anything in the car, I would lock it in the trunk.
I agree, even putting the tonneau on can backfire - I had a nice 8 track stolen from my BN1 in 1972 and the guy couldn't be bothered with snaps and a zipper..... apparently a knife was faster. Was really a shame too because I had just had a buddy rewire the tape deck internally to convert it to positive ground and I'm sure he would have wired it negative and fried it the first time he tried to use it.
Dave