• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Download speed

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Is 700 kb/s a decent download speed? PJ

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I just tested mine and got 530mbps (Comcast/AKA Xfinity, a cable connection) for download - which is considerably faster than usual, because we are usually 300-ish. Upload was about 18mbps (typically slower).

[that was measured using an app on my phone, so, technically I suppose, it also included the wireless router to my phone]

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My wireless runs about 280-350 depending on machine I'm using

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I have a wireless connection, but we don't have cable, everything comes through a phone line or satellite. I do have a wireless repeater hooked up. PJ

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Aha! Yes, pesky slow phone line (or satellite). Still, I might have thought 5+ mbps for you.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I have a wireless connection, but we don't have cable, everything comes through a phone line or satellite. I do have a wireless repeater hooked up. PJ

Paul - do you have satellite internet like Hughes or ViaSat?

Satellite sends the data down to you, and you send your data up through a phone line. That type of system is usually *really* slow compared to cable systems.

I've heard that in many rural areas, satellite is the only choice (unless you do a *really* old system like telephone ISDN, which doesn't use satellite at all, and is even slower than satellite).

Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I get about 200-205 MPS with Comcast Cable. It's not bad considering I'm only paying for a pachage that claims download speeds "up to 175MPS." I'm almost alwasys well above the advertised speed, so can't complain. I could pay more for even faster speed but I have not found a need. But 700kb/s does seem awefully slow. You might want to contact your provider and ask them what sort of speed you should be getting. I would think with satellite, you should be able to get at least 20-25MPS on the download side.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I checked it on my Linux machine and I'm getting 5.1 MPS. We live in the sticks and technology is 50 years behind times. The electric co. Lake Region Electric has been installing fiber optic all over the place, but the fewer people that signs up for it, the longer it takes for them to run the underground cable down the road. We've been signed up for 4 years and even offered to purchase the highest rated system, but not enough folks on our road have signed up , costs a lot of money to run fiber optic 10 miles and a lot of folks around here grew up with outhouse technology and refuse to change. We have satellite for TV service, but satellite internet is very poor, we tried it, every time it rained, the signal dropped off. Everything works, but at a slower pace. :uncomfortableness: PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I checked it on my Linux machine and I'm getting 5.1 MPS. We live in the sticks and technology is 50 years behind times. The electric co. Lake Region Electric has been installing fiber optic all over the place, but the fewer people that signs up for it, the longer it takes for them to run the underground cable down the road. We've been signed up for 4 years and even offered to purchase the highest rated system, but not enough folks on our road have signed up , costs a lot of money to run fiber optic 10 miles and a lot of folks around here grew up with outhouse technology and refuse to change. We have satellite for TV service, but satellite internet is very poor, we tried it, every time it rained, the signal dropped off. Everything works, but at a slower pace. :uncomfortableness: PJ

Thanks Paul.

Lots of folks have satellite for TV these days. How do you get your internet service?

Tom M.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Our internet service comes through the phone line, through a wireless modem and through a signal booster. Linux loves it, as my Linux machine fly's since the booster was configured, but download speeds aren't the best. The Windows 10 machine hasn't improved much with the booster on for some reason. Another thing I noticed is, on the Linux machine, I have to use Libra Office as I tried to download MS Office and it fought me all the way, kept refusing my password, so I gave up on it. :rolleyes2:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Aha! your internet connection uses phone line. That's probably the reason for the slow service. Modems and boosters usually can't increase the speed of what comes through the phone line. What app or website are you using to check your download speeds?

I'm assuming it's your Windows machine that gets the 700 kbps download speed. Do the Linux machine *and* the Windows machine use the same wireless modem and booster connections? If you're getting 5.1M download speed on the Linux machine, that actually a pretty fast telephone line connection!

Sorry for all the questions, but I figure you're wondering why your two machines are getting such different download speeds.

Tom M.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I don't know Tom, I'm assuming windows has so much garbage in it, it just runs at a slower pace. Never did like W-10 as it always wants to take control and does it's own thing on software updates etc. Since W-7 I never cared for Windows. All new machines are impregnated with W-10, I have a Dell that I wiped the HD and installed W-8, which works very well, but the wife has all her stuff in it, so it's off limits to me! :highly_amused:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OK - let us know if you need some troubleshooting on the slow Windows internet speed.
Happy new year! or as they say in Oklahoma Cherokee:

Nvnohi tsaksesdesdi!

Be careful on the road ahead!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Ah yes Tom, and Ulihelisdi atse udetiyvsgv (Happy New Year) to you and yours! :encouragement: