• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Strange airport runway

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My daughter who is currently traveling overseas sent me this photo today. Checkout the road (bottom right of pic) that crosses the airport runway.... very strange!
Bragging rights if you can identify the airport.

IMG_8407.jpg

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:encouragement: It's not so subtle (to me). Good job Tom!

Note to Tom.... change the title of your pic so you don't give the answer away.

D

Deleted member 8987

There was a special on teevee a while back on that. Traffic lights and all to cross the active.

Not as bad as getting to the Pilatus Factory in Switzerland, I hear. Several lights, miles, and possibly a public road. Imagine running your PC-12 with 5 scimitars spinning up front.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Note to Tom.... change the title of your pic so you don't give the answer away.

Thanks. Forgot about that ...

The photo is one of the most striking WW2 photos I can recall. Brings to mind Bogart and Casablanca.

The Watch on the Rhein, versus The Marseillaise.

wow

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It certainly is a striking photo!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I don't know of any other larger airport (other than Gibraltar) where there is car/truck/etc. traffic allowed across the runway. I wonder if there are any others. Has your daughter encountered the monkeys on the rock?

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
In Switzerland at eh airport the Breitling sky diving team practice there is a road that cross the runway
there are a few homes on the opposite side
they cross at will with a Pilates p12 coming down the valley at them it was the craziest thing I’ve ever seen.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
.....Has your daughter encountered the monkeys on the rock?
Yes! She sent me some pics of them.
And I’m happy to say that she landed JFK about 30 minutes ago. She’ll be home tomorrow.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
In Switzerland at eh airport the Breitling sky diving team practice there is a road that cross the runway
there are a few homes on the opposite side
they cross at will with a Pilates p12 coming down the valley at them it was the craziest thing I’ve ever seen.
Many years ago my wife and I were departing from the airport in Hershey. As I was on takeoff roll a couple of young kids ran across the runway. I pulled up early and thankfully went right over them.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Taking off from Sky Acres in NY State some years ago, as I started my takeoff roll, I noticed an 18-wheel semi heading my way from the far end of the runway. I was in the air well before we got close but it would have been interesting if I had to abort the takeoff.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The one in Nepal isn't the greatest either with a stone wall at one end, you just better have good brakes or an aircraft capable of STOL performance, this guy eventually didn't think he had either! :rolleyes2:

Funny thing though, this aircraft has STOL characteristics!

View attachment 61830