• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cooper's Air Filter on H1 Carbs

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
All:

I have the repro Cooper's Air Filters on my H1 carbs. I've been through a few of these, encountering problems with the bolts holding them to the carb. The key problem is the bolts (5/16 fine threads) seem to be the wrong size, not wanting to fit securely in the threads of the air filter. (I suspect a manufacturing quality issue.) I had the bolt fall out recently, reattached it using teflon tape (to make it tighter), but that fell out today. (I'm in Barbados and the roads are full of holes.) The loosened air filter then drop slightly to block the air intake, forcing me to remove the filter until I can obtain another bolt. (I ordered the whole set up - filters/gaskets/bolts - together, yet the bolts are often loose.)

Does anyone else have this problem? Are there aftermarket air filters for the H1s (a less popular carb than the HS2s)? Do original Cooper filters have better fitment?

Thanks,

MXP

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When I used my original Cooper’s Air filters I never had any problem. They require a gasket and lock washers on the bolts. How about using some locktight on the threads? I may also have a set of replacement filters that came with the car that look somewhat like these https://www.holden.co.uk/p/air_filter_for_su_1_1_8_in_h1. Another option would be to use H1 Ram pipes with foam filters. https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/war...-feed-kits/ram-pipes-for-su-carburettors.html . I will take a look for my old filters in the garage in the am. Obviously changing the H2 carbs or what I did (40 dcoe webers) is not an inexpensive change.
Paul

OP
M

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for checking.

I will likely next try the Loctite, but my tools aren't due to arrive here until early January, so I was working with a small adjustable wrench that doesn't permit me to tighten the bolt completely. I was hoping the teflon tape might just make the difference. The main issue was the fitment between the bolt and the hole diameter. I had one repro filter in the past in which I had the same experience. I tried a slightly larger bolt, which led to the the captive nut breaking from the filter. As I noted, I think there's a manufacturing quality issue with the repros.

Let me know what you find. I also noted your BE's serial number. Mine is 9382, 95 cars apart! They were likely on the assembly line at the same time.

MXP

When I used my original Cooper’s Air filters I never had any problem. They require a gasket and lock washers on the bolts. How about using some locktight on the threads? I may also have a set of replacement filters that came with the car that look somewhat like these https://www.holden.co.uk/p/air_filter_for_su_1_1_8_in_h1. Another option would be to use H1 Ram pipes with foam filters. https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/war...-feed-kits/ram-pipes-for-su-carburettors.html . I will take a look for my old filters in the garage in the am. Obviously changing the H2 carbs or what I did (40 dcoe webers) is not an inexpensive change.
Paul

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I found my original H1 carbs with my restored Cooper’s Air Filters but not my replacement filters. I think they maybe in my garage at the office, will check next week. I was worried at the time that they would not filter the air to the carbs, so I used the replacement filters with paper K&N filters when I got the car running. Interesting that our cars are very close in VINs. Mine is Iris blue, but has been slightly modified from how it left the factory.
9083EC8A-C17F-4FF9-A5DC-DDC45D4F3859.jpg

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Still no luck finding those air filters. I will keep on trying as my schedule and daylight allow in the old garage. Lots of boxes from many old cars, I know I did no throw them away.

OP
M

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for making the effort. I really appreciate it. I think I have found the solution on my filters. I found that one side can handle a 5/16 fine thread, while the other takes a 9 mm fine thread. I think these will hold (I used Loctite and teflon tape). Still awaiting arrival of my tools.