• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New member with old problems

JAJohn

Bronze
Country flag
Hello! I'm restoring a 1961 TR3 with rust everywhere. I discovered my door sills are rotten on both sides, inside and out. I will need advice. First, will MIG welding be useful?
Also, I'm going to replace the frozen engine with a good one. What problems can I expect with removing the front apron/radiator?
I have worked extensively on TR 4 and 4A, but that was 40 years ago! Thanks for advice.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
first of all welcome! Sounds like a great project

You are probably better off to repost the questions themselves on the Triumph forum. This is really just the welcome page.

I will go out on a limb and suggest that yes, MIG is good! :grin:

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Welcome to the BCF! As JP suggested, you will probably get more answers to your specific questions if you post your question in the Triumph forum.

Cheers!
Basil

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
At the risk of incurring Basil's wrath: Yes, MIG will be very helpful. And by far the biggest problem with removing the apron is all the caged nuts that will spin in their cages if the associated threads are even a little bit rusty. You'll want some needle-nose vice grips so you can reach inside and clamp the cage onto the nut long enough to get the screw out. Removing the headlight buckets will help with the ones in the middle, but again they have captive nuts that tend to spin instead of come out. Fortunately, they are easier to get at with an angle grinder and cutoff blade, to cut the head off so you can remove the bucket and gain access to the nuts.