Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED bulb/resistor wiring question

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Re: LED bulb/resistor wiring question

I switched my front incancescent bulbs in the parking/turn light to bi-coloured (white/amber) LEDs behind a white beehive lens, and the rear bulb to red LEDs behind the red beehive (I tried a white LED, but as commented above the light was bright pink rather than red). I also added a second brake/turn light LED in the reflectors above the tail lights for additional visibility. It all works well. Rather than tampering with parallell resistors I swithed the flasher relay to an electronic. It was very simple, just plug and play.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Are the electronic flashers polarity sensitive?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yes, they are. I purchased my flasher and bulbs here: http://www.dynamoregulatorconversion...units-shop.php, but I am sure there are other suppliers on both sides of the pond.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

As I said in an earlier post the bulbs supplied by Moss were too long to fit under the 100's flat lens, Another 100 owner from the Austin-Healey 100 Experience Forum suggested that I contact Litezupp (https://litezupp.com/LEDs-for-12-Volt-Systems) and they offered a shorter bulb which the owner promised would work. In fact it did and today, after some delay due to a trip out of town I finally finished installing the LED bulbs. I am very pleased with their performance and for my next trick I am going to go to brighter headlights and also see if I can upgrade the 576 driving lights.

BTW I never cease to be amazed by the strange things that a Healey's lighting system can do: After installing (only) the left LED bulb--with the incandescent still in the right fixture--when I tested its performance my 3rd brake light stayed on all the time and the right light would not work at all. Fortunately I resisted the temptation to deal with the issue and continued to install the right LED which made everything fine. I guess I should be content to live in ignorance.

Best--Michael Oritt
    1954 Austin-Healey 100 Le Mans
    1959 Elva MK IV Sports Racer
    1961 Ginetta G4