• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just had the MOAU [Mother Of All Updates]

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
On a rare occasion yesterday I booted the computer in Window$ to add a warranty replacement printer. I mistakenly let it do an update when I shut down to return to Linux. By the clock, two and a half hours later it was finally back up and it had to restart 3 times. I can install a complete Linux distro for scratch in half an hour.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Yep - if you don't let Windows do updates on its own for several weeks, you'll have an armload of updates to do when you finally turn it loose.

Nothing against Linux, but I remember installing Fedora several years ago. Installation took about 30 minutes; but when I did the updates (security patches, kernel updates and software updates) needed after the initial installation, it took several hours. And even then, the printer driver issues were real headaches.

YMMV.
Tom M.

OP
Bayless

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
When I first installed Linux Mint the only problem was a printer driver. I had a Canon color printer and Canon USA had no driver. Someone on the Mint forum suggested Canon China and sure enough there it was. While trying to install, it wanted some special library that I finally located in Poland. I do get suggested updates regularly and they usually take less than 5 minutes. That includes not only the OS but all the "officially installed" software that has something new. It's been 2 years next month since I finally turned Windows off for good and I'm loving it for sure.

D

Deleted member 8987

Updates? Windoze? Gee....I killed them HARD is my machines ten years or more ago. Still functioning without them. This laptop has two, total, done the moment I booted it first time before I killed them (same "kill" works on P, 7, 8 and 8.1)
I remember XP SP3....and the original wasn't written for AMD processors....three hours in, two hours out, every time until the Morons fixed it. Then I said enough.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
When I read the title of this post, I thought; Bayless is a Linux guy! What's it take to update that?

Currently using a Win box for this post and missing my usual CEntOS machine already.