• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 miata seats

iani

Freshman Member
Country flag
I fitted Mk MX5 (Miata) seats to my car, I don't think you got these seats in the US though. I like them, they are more comfortable than standard and, in my case, gave me headrests that my '69 UK car didn't have.

Ian

Attachments

• seats.jpg
    seats.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 229

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have an extra Miata seat for TR6 track, if you are interested.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Do you have a tonneau cover and do you use it? That’s the first question I ask...

Cheers
Tush

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
What year is you TR6? I like the Miata seats that are available in the UK and Europe, like the ones pictured above, but the MK2 version with removable headrests are rarer than hens teeth in North America.

Two issues beside the use of the tonneau are the fact that the headrest on the commonly available Miata seat is one piece and rather too "chunky" looking for my taste, and that the modifications to the slider make one sit higher than with the stock seats. This is not a problem for some.

When folks started using Miata seats some 20 years ago they were relatively easy to find and were an economical alternative to replacing the foam and seat covers on the stock seats. I am not so sure that is the case anymore and if you have to replace the foam and the seat cover on a Miata seat, many of which are in bad shape by now, the costs will be similar.

I am currently rebuilding a set of late CR seats with removable headrests for my TR4A. I have ordered covers from John Skinner in black leather with white piping to maintain the TR4 look. I will add an inflatable lumbar support as well.

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The Miata seat will definitely change the look of your car, but you may be OK with that. Posted is a comparison shot of the Miata vs. stock seat. The Miata seat appears to have deeper side bolsters, some have speakers in the headrest.

Check out Mr. Mike's site for more information: http://www.mrmikes.com/miata_to_triumph.htm
tr6beforeandafter_sm.jpg

iani

Freshman Member
Country flag
The Miata seat will definitely change the look of your car, but you may be OK with that. Posted is a comparison shot of the Miata vs. stock seat. The Miata seat appears to have deeper side bolsters, some have speakers in the headrest.

Check out Mr. Mike's site for more information: http://www.mrmikes.com/miata_to_triumph.htm
View attachment 61648

I think these UK spec' MX5 (Miata) seats suit the car much better, ignore the mixed trim colours, I was mid conversion to black. These seats can be picked up cheaply enough, it would be the shipping that would hurt.

Attachments

• seats2.jpg
    seats2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 219

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Also, try sitting in Miata seats for as long as you can before you make a final selection. We all fit car seats differently, and the most important factor is what works for you. I drove US-spec "NA" Miatas as everyday cars for 22 years, and original Triumph seats happen to be more comfortable for me, and my wife preferred TR3 seats as well.
YMMV !

Ripper01

Country flag
I swapped my TR seats for a a Block 1 Miata seats (early 90s) Definitely an improvement in comfort and safety. I never liked the low headrest on a tall framed person thing. (I am 6'2") We made a custom set of mounting rails, fairly easy with some welding skills. I found a good quality leather seat cover on Ebay with the embroidery. The key on the seats is to have a narrow top to work with the convertible mounting. 1975 (2020-06-17T17_57_57.757).jpg

Rod-H

Bronze
Country flag
I've got Miata Seats in my TR4. I like the fit/feel much better than the original seats. I would recommend skipping the headrest speakers. Even with upgraded speakers, not much volume, or sound quality. If you don't use the headrest speakers you can better pack the area with foam or batting to get a much nicer fit of the seat covers.

I used Mr Mikes kit, great quality, good instructions. IMG_4344.jpgIMG_4345.jpg