• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need a Boroscope

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Need it for looking into ceiling cavity so not looking for a real good one.
Is the HF one worth it?

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not sure for this use if I need anything long
Just need to shoot it in a ceiling chase, between floors, to see what surprises I might find before I open it up to run an exhaust vent through it

dklawson

Yoda
If you only need it for occasional use and don't have to have TV quality, consider the very inexpensive USB endoscopes available on eBay and Amazon. You will find them with a variety of lengths, resolutions, and degrees of flexibility. Once plugged into your laptop or phone you configure it and use it as a webcam. The one I bought is 720p. It allowed me to inspect the inside of my Mini's LH fuel tank. I chose a highly flexible model and later found when I did need a more rigid setup all I needed to do is tape the cord and camera head to a length of coat hanger. While not perfect, at only about $15 it exceeded my expectations.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I have one of those cheap Chinese boroscopes that you plug into your phone (and even has a light). It's really not bad. Cost maybe $10.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The cheap ones are fine for checking inside walls etc, but a higher quality scope is needed for checking cylinder bores, the cheap scopes are grainey in detail, but will find a truck if one is parked in there! :encouragement: :jester:

dklawson

Yoda
The cheap ones are fine for checking inside walls etc, but a higher quality scope is needed for checking cylinder bores, the cheap scopes are grainey in detail, but will find a truck if one is parked in there!

Exactly !

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the USB endoscopes don't have great resolution but they are good enough for "macro" work. In my case I wanted to see how badly corroded the inside of a fuel tank was. Later, working with the camera in the tank and strong external lighting I used the camera to locate pinholes. The USB endoscope represented $15 well spent but it was not movie quality.