• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bought an LED underhood light yesterday

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
sort of a christmas gift :smile: and slightly in honour of the new Star Wars (you'll see :smile:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-smd-underhood-hanging-light-0370744p.html#srp

much much brightness. Interesting to see how technology changes. I have another LED work light but I can't remember where the charger is. :0

This came with a cord - USB at one end and Samsung plug at the other. Didn't even come with the usb plug to the wall.

This all leads me to wonder, how many chargers do you have in your shop?

If I could find my trouble light charger, and including this new one I think I have 5. But really three that I constantly use.

others?

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have a couple, the same, for Black and Decker batteries for my 20 volt drill and trimmer. My flashlights are all regular AA or AAA battery. I think Mrs. Claus may be giving me a Milwaukee cordless ratchet for Christmas though!

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have one of the old-fashioned lights that use incandescent bulbs. Put a 120V, 100W equivalent LED bulb in it. Works like a champ and is much cooler.

I have a couple of chargers for an old iPhone and a speaker to listen to music, and one for my Makita drills.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As the incandescent bulbs at the hovel burned out we've replaced them with LED equivalents. It has made a noticeable difference in the power bill. As for chargers, I've yet to accept battery powered tools fully. Had a couple of the early screwdrivers and a drill. All were marginal in performance and durability, with no real interchangeability between tools. Looking at the Milwaukee 3/8" one now, a consensus of the working techs I know seem to give it high marks. I've waited for a consistent battery form to fit different tools, Milwaukee's M18 system seems to fit the requirement.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re the Milwaukee ratchets
I have burned through a couple
Seems they don't last if you let them sit

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Re the Milwaukee ratchets
I have burned through a couple
Seems they don't last if you let them sit

That's what I believe trashed the earlier models, prior to Lith-Ion. Was hoping the newer battery materials were better.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
The Force is strong in this one. :wink-new:

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have the Eastwood underhood LED light and I love it. I've recently gotten onto the LED bandwagon and have gotten several work lights recently. Can never have too many good lights of various sizes... like 10mm stuff, can never find one when you absolutley need it.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I got an underhood light as a Christmas gift, rechargeable, and yes, came with a USB cord and nothing else. I don't have a spare USB port charger in the garage, I can probably scrounge one up, actually for stuff like this I would just as soon have a replacable old school battery or two in it, as rechargable device will be dead and worthless when the battery quits.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Bought one, dropped and out she went. Not getting another.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have the Eastwood underhood LED light and I love it. I've recently gotten onto the LED bandwagon and have gotten several work lights recently. Can never have too many good lights of various sizes... like 10mm stuff, can never find one when you absolutley need it.

I really do like the underhood light! One of the winter/spring projects is to finish wiring the garage properly (it is a bit of a rats nest just now) which will include a swap to LED overheads as opposed to the nasty fluorescents that flicker and humm and don't work right because it is too cold.

We are slowly making the LED change in the house - edison style especially - got so pot light bulbs but made the whole room look like an East German Interrogation Room for the cold war so they didn't last. :rolleyes:

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
On the battery operated toll front: Festool is wonderful. Have had their drill/screwdriver for some seven years (give or take). It has been through two significant home restorations, dropped countless times, but still runs like a champ.

(Expensive. It is one of those tools where Iโ€™ll gladly pay the premium for the best. The rest are Home Depot Dewalt or Harbor Freight.)

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I replaced the fluorescent tubes in the cellar playroom with LEDs. Much better. Light instantly and brighter. Also needed a different ballast as well. Kitchen overhead fixture still has fluorescents. In damp weather, they are reluctant to go on.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I replaced the fluorescent tubes in the cellar playroom with LEDs. Much better. Light instantly and brighter. Also needed a different ballast as well. Kitchen overhead fixture still has fluorescents. In damp weather, they are reluctant to go on.

I need to replace the flourescent tubes in the kitchen with LEDs.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As the incandescent bulbs at the hovel burned out we've replaced them with LED equivalents. It has made a noticeable difference in the power bill. As for chargers, I've yet to accept battery powered tools fully. Had a couple of the early screwdrivers and a drill. All were marginal in performance and durability, with no real interchangeability between tools. Looking at the Milwaukee 3/8" one now, a consensus of the working techs I know seem to give it high marks. I've waited for a consistent battery form to fit different tools, Milwaukee's M18 system seems to fit the requirement.

I have always been leery of battery power tools as well because invariably when you are the middle of a project that is when the battery will go flat. Plug in tools have to jack around with extension cords and power strips but never go dead halfway through a job.

However, I was given a Makita 18V impact driver over the holidays which is right impressive. I can see myself using this thing frequently - it is as powerful for driving screws as my DeWalt plug-in screw gun. For long involved jobs I'll stay plug-in, but for things where I need a faster in or out NOW (or in a place without mains power), that Makita can't be beat.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have thought about an electric impact on a few occasions but haven't taken the plunge.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I need to replace the flourescent tubes in the kitchen with LEDs.

Exacty what I did. Have two each two-bulb fixtures in main Kitchen fitted with LED bulbs, plus a square LED fixture over the sink. I also repalced the bulbs in my garage door opener with LED bulbs.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<snip>

However, I was given a Makita 18V impact driver over the holidays which is right impressive. I can see myself using this thing frequently - it is as powerful for driving screws as my DeWalt plug-in screw gun. For long involved jobs I'll stay plug-in, but for things where I need a faster in or out NOW (or in a place without mains power), that Makita can't be beat.

I got a set of Makita tools from Christmas a couple years ago (Driver, Drill and Sawsall) and have really been impressed with them. I have not used the driver on any large jobs, like building a deck, but have extra batteries just in case.