• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Post-War Other 1949 2000 Triumph Roadster brakes

HalLucy

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi:

I recently bought a 1949 2000 Roadster off of eBay. It is a real barn-find and will need a lot of work. Does anyone know where I can get brake parts for the car?

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hal, try Kips Auto in Texas. If no luck there, the Roadster Club in England sales all kind of parts and the exchange rate is not bad at all.
Shipping is competitive. I think you have to be a member to order parts, but if you are just starting, they will be your go to site.
Of course there are a few around and most are always willing to help.
Great Forum here, many helpful members.
The wheel cylinders can be rebuilt with standard cup parts and the Master cylinder is a displace fluid rod, nothing like you have seen, be sure to look for the kit to rebuild that.

OP
HalLucy

HalLucy

Freshman Member
Country flag
Ha, try Kips Imorts in Texas. If no luck there, the Roadster Club in England sales all kind of parts and the exchange rate is not bad at all.
Shipping is competitive. I think you have to be a member to order parts, but if you are just starting, they will be your go to site.
Of course there are a few around and most are always willing to help.
Great Forum here, many helpful members.

Thanks for quick reply. I know Kip Motors well and was planning on giving them a call on Monday. I will check out the Club in England as well. Thanks again

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
1618617_1448830708668502_1728830465_n.jpg1017376_1448830882001818_835579797_n.jpg3.jpgCIMG0046.jpgMalbaby, so what am I, Chopped Liver. LOL
Just try to keep cool, understand it's been a bit warm down under.

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes...46deg at our place....51deg in my shed....very bad fires with loss of life in NSW...fortunately none close to us in Victoria.

OP
HalLucy

HalLucy

Freshman Member
Country flag
Well, I started digging into the car today. It is a bit of a mess. I hope that i didn't get in over my head! It turns out the the master cylinder is a Frankenstein monster and is definitely not original:
brake1.jpgbrake2.jpg
It looks to me as if someone cut the front of the original off and welded an American master cylinder to the back end. What a mess. I hope the I can get an original replacement.

View attachment 61619View attachment 61620View attachment 61621View attachment 61622Malbaby, so what am I, Chopped Liver. LOL
Just try to keep cool, understand it's been a bit warm down under.

trrdster2000, I have no idea how the master cylinder is suppose to mount to the firewall of the car. Would it be possible for you to take some pictures of that for me?

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You should be able to find a suitable M/C replacement, even it it not completely original, depending on the mounting method.
Being mounted under the floor, a non original M/C could be used....eg Ford or Mercury 1949-51....easily obtainable...or even a combination booster/master cylinder [hot rod style]
Also consider mounting a remount booster under the floor also.
IMHO...good brakes are more important than winning a concours.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hal, will get you a couple tomorrow.
The rod with the pedal on top is the rod that goes into the master cylinder to displace the fluid to the pipes. It's a tall fill chamber and has a inline pressure fitting to operate the brake light.
I told you it was odd.

Wayne

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hal, Here is a couple with a picture of the rebuild kit instructions.CIMG0574.jpgCIMG0576.jpgCIMG0575.jpgCIMG0577.jpg

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hal, if you are finding out your wrench is not really fitting the nut or bolt head. Surprise, they are Whitworth fittings. Lots of places sell them as Harley Davidson used them for years. Finding a tap and die set to clean up bolts or threads is a bit more difficult.
Lots of hydraulic fittings that 7/16 almost fit were really Whitworth on the '60's and '70"s cars.
You will have lots of slotted screws in the wood that break or strip the slot out, just drill the head off, save a lot of frustration.

OP
HalLucy

HalLucy

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks trrdster2000! The pictures are exactly what I needed. The brackets for mounting it to the car seems to be original. Let me see if I can find an original M/C. I have a complete set of BS wrenches and sockets, so thanks for letting me know.

OP
HalLucy

HalLucy

Freshman Member
Country flag
You should be able to find a suitable M/C replacement, even it it not completely original, depending on the mounting method.
Being mounted under the floor, a non original M/C could be used....eg Ford or Mercury 1949-51....easily obtainable...or even a combination booster/master cylinder [hot rod style]
Also consider mounting a remount booster under the floor also.
IMHO...good brakes are more important than winning a concours.

This car will never be a concours contender because it does not have the original engine. Besides, I would rather have it be a daily driver. I have never fitted a replacement M/C to a car. Is there anything I need to consider, like the bore diameter?

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hal, I will send you a PM with my phone number, if you would like to call, I'm good for right now.
I can tell you what not to try, under the floor. Making a pedal and finding the right pivot point will sometimes require you to manufacturer the whole area.

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My apologies guys, I imagined the M/C as being under the floor on this model, not on the lower firewall as pictured, it is quite unique in design, and not easily improved on.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hal
Definitely become a member of the club. I have kind of stalled on my restoration as life and my AH Sprite seemed easier to do. But I will finish it some day. Trrdster2000 is a great asset and has lots of knowledge on the subject. Another source is ebay uk and http://triumphroadsterspares.co.uk/parts-for-sale/brakes/
Regards
Paul