Thread: Optimal lighting for a BN1

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Optimal lighting for a BN1

As a winter project I would like to upgrade my 100's lighting to provide for optimal brightness all around and would like to get on one piece of paper bulb recommendations to provide maximum lighting: Headlights, sidelights, twin 576 driving lights and dash lights.

Lighting fixtures are stock except that I have illuminated the rear reflector pods to function as turn signals which have plastic conical lenses

In making recommendations please include relay recommendations and/or where wiring may need to be upgraded. Charging capacity is not a consideration as I have a 75 amp alternator.

Thanks in advance.

Best--Michael Oritt
    1954 Austin-Healey 100 Le Mans
    1959 Elva MK IV Sports Racer
    1961 Ginetta G4

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: Optimal lighting for a BN1

We have a BJ7 and converted the rear reflectors to LED signal lights as well as the brake lights to LEDs. I highly recommend the LEDs for safety etc. etc. We didn't convert the front signals to LEDs, due to budget constraints. I also understand that you can convert your instrumentation to LED lighting but have no knowledge on this and don't perceive this as necessary for us. Good fortune. Doug

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

• For headlights, I've seen the LED ones from Moss on Laurie Day's Sprite at Rendezvous 2019 and they are brighter. They are a whiter light than halogens.

• For the 576 driving lights, these Halogen bulbs seem to be the brightest: https://jollyrogersmotors.com/store/...-Bulb-New.html. I have them in my SLR 700s. I looked for LEDs with a BPF base so the driving lights would be bright white too. There are LED BPF bulbs for motorcycles, but tests in the UK have shown the halogens are brighter.

• For the tail,side/brake/turn signal bulbs, the original bulbs are 21/6 candlepower. These from the hot rod guys are 50/14 candlepower and plug in (no resistors, relays or special flashers are required): https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.as...1A-13465-HP12V. I found that so many LED dual-brightness bulbs didn't have enough brightness difference between the high and low to be able to easily tell the difference between tail and brake lights.

• No comments on dash lights, I just painted the inside of the cases white instead of light blue.
    John, BN4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I'm currently running Halogen bulbs in my headlights. I installed relays because they were frying my light switch. I'm also using the generator and factory wire. Not sure if I'm getting all the brightness because of that.

I recently purchased the Stella Lux LED headlight kit including the Lucas headlamp from Moss. Research says not any led bulb in any headlight housing will work properly together. The beam pattern will be off.

I've seen this Stella Lux H4 LED conversion paired with the Lucas headlamps on other sites. So I'm assuming this combination has been tested and works properly.

One of the nice things about LED headlights is that the factory wire can be used including the generator and no relays needed.

I plan on installing this kit soon and will share my impressions.

The dash light, gauges... I added a second 2.2w filament bulb to the bottom of the speedo and tach. This illuminates the entire gauge. The gas and water/oil gauge I replace the 2.2w with a 4w. I tried led bulbs, but they're a brighter kelvin, on the bluish side. I wanted to keep the 2700 Kalvin the incandescent bulbs have. (I posted a how-to about this years ago)

1964 BJ8 phase II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Turney View Post
    ...These from the hot rod guys are 50/14 candlepower and plug in (no resistors, relays or special flashers are required): https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.as...1A-13465-HP12V....
    John,
    Are these 2357 bulbs?
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    John,
    Are these 2357 bulbs?
    2357 bulbs are supposed to be 40/3 candlepower, so I don't think so.
    John, BN4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to John Turney For This Useful Post:

steveg  (12-20-2019)