• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dial Back Timing Light

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Hooked up my new digital dial back timing light up to the TF, which is positive ground and blew out the circuit! Hooked positive clip to the positive terminal and the timing light went dead. It was supposed to hook up as the old one did, but I messed up somewhere. $$$!

Country flag
Does it have a polarity switch?? Assuming it is a solid state type device it's probably polarity sensitive and is either only negative ground use or has a switch.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
No it doesn't Mike, but after doing a lot of research on the subject this morning, and talking with the racing crowd, they don't recommend the dial back light, in fact they say their not what their cropped up to be, they won't use them saying they have had engines ruined by them giving wrong information! They recommend using the self powered single wire light. Of course were not using them on high performance race engines, but the race crowd claims they are the most accurate with less deviation. So, I'm going to ask Santa if he has any left over! :devilgrin:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm going to be going up to Wyandotte next week. If you want I can loan you my timing light on the way.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I can't imagine why a timing light would care which battery terminal is connected to the car's body; as long as the power leads are connected correctly, how would it even know?

Does the light have a metal housing? Or make any other electrical connections?

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
It's a digital timing light and according to the information I've received they are very polarity sensitive. The timing is pretty close, I was just trying to get this light set up for the TF. I was told to hook it up to a seperate battery, not connected to the car and it should work. I'll try that later, right now the car is put to bead for the winter. I have a couple winter projects on it, such as installing a new auxiliary fuel pump and a few minor adjustments.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I'm going to be going up to Wyandotte next week. If you want I can loan you my timing light on the way.

Much appreciated Walter, but fine tuning the timing will be a Spring thing when the temps are a little warmer. :encouragement:

Never gave it a thought until just now Walter, you will probably be coming up 44 to Kansas and were 60 miles East of 44 and Tulsa.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8987

I won't use one. Shops that I ran, too many guys bumped the dial and set timing way off. If you're looking for total advance, doesn't work that way. Maybe when the engine was new, and octane was what it was back then, but wear, octane, cabs....you dial adjustments for factory maximum advance, it generally pings like a Church Bell.

For me, I use a regular old inductive light, vacuum pump to make sure the advance works, make sure the timing kicks with and without advance (checks centrifugal advance). One Fords with advance (at least early 60's through whenever), road test for ping, allen wrench inside the hose port of the advance to set back max advance.

Still have an old in-line light....turn the lights off to see it.

Wait until you need to check timing on a 6 volt vehicle with a 12 volt inductive light.

Hook the power to a 12V car next to you (done that many times)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Paul, that's why I offered; it wouldn't be a big deal at all to take 412 right past you and head north again at Kansas. I completely understand waiting until the spring to fine tune it.