• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Intake manifold alignment

steve00136

Freshman Member
Having recently swopped carburettors I took the opportunity to check how well the joints between the carb and cylinder head were mating.
I noticed a pronounced ridge of about 3mm where the inlet manifold mates onto the head. This may only affect performance at high revs - but it is not ideal.
It seemed as if the manifold needed lifting a little which would be a quick and simple solution to centre the manifold to the head. So I slotted the inlet manifold mounting hole and repositioned the manifold which cured the problem.
Can't say I've noticed any improvement in performance but it's satisfying that I know these parts are properly aligned and fitted correctly.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
As long as the ports on the manifold and the head are aligned, all should be well. But as you say, having things lined up does make one feel better!

:cheers:
Mickey

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Never even occured to me that this COULD be wrong - I just always assumed they were designed to line up. I have mine off now to do some cleaning and paint touchup on the engine, so when I reassemble I will be sure to check this...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mass production takes into account a certain amount of "slop tolerance." That leaves it up to us as caretakers, to correct and finesse things to their optimum. The intake and exhaust runners in most MGB heads are left as rough-cast ports. It pays to clean them up and check the alignment with the manifolds. The "old ways" treatment for intake ports was to polish to a mirror finish, unfortunately that lead to a laminar flow issue and less efficiency. An 80-grit finish after cleaning all the sharp points and rough parts of the casting and aligning the manifolds to the head will noticeably smooth out the running of the engine. Worth doing if the head is coming off.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Doesn't matter at all on a street car.

Standard procedure on race cars to index the manifolds and install roll pins to ensure automatically perfect fitment.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A For Sale Mystery brass intake manifold Other British Classifieds 0
K TR2/3/3A Failed intake manifold gasket? Triumph 2
V MGB Replace late intake manifold angled breather with early model straight? MG 1
Scotsman BJ8 Intake Manifold Differences Austin Healey 4
Patrick67BJ8 BJ8 Intake manifold Booster & Vacuum Hookup threads sizes. Austin Healey 2
M TR2/3/3A 1960 TR3A--intake manifold-to-SUH6 carbs studs Triumph 3
P MGB 1980 MGB Modified Intake Manifold MG 7
K For Sale Triumph TR3 Intake Manifold Triumph Classifieds 0
Ripper01 For Sale- TR-6 Intake Manifold Triumph Classifieds 0
Ripper01 For Sale TR6 '69-72 Intake Manifold Stanpart V3108 Triumph Classifieds 0
steveg TR6 Fixing the intake manifold Triumph 8
Michael Oritt Intake manifold question Austin Healey 11
GeorgeC Intake / exhaust manifold gasket install goop? Spridgets 2
K For Sale TR4A Intake Manifold..Put one on your TR3...improves air intake....cheap like borsht. Triumph Classifieds 2
J Bj8 intake manifold to heat shield to carb gaskets Austin Healey 4
Lin Intake manifold drain pipes Austin Healey 29
R FFuel overflowing at Intake Manifold Austin Healey 10
BLong63AH Removal of Intake and Exhaust manifold. Austin Healey BJ7 Austin Healey 24
T why would an intake manifold stud have both coarse and fine threads? Spridgets 8
K For Sale Curved tube intake manifold...2" Triumph Classifieds 2
B Gasket Sealer on Intake/Exhaust Manifold Gasket. Austin Healey 7
H BJ8 blew out intake manifold plug Austin Healey 10
I Tips for installing intake manifold plugs in a stock Bugeye? Spridgets 6
DrEntropy For Sale MGA intake manifold [1500] MG Classifieds 0
bugedd Intake Manifold Spridgets 12
Jim_Gruber Did I find another need for a Whitworth Wrench Set/ Did I screw up intake manifold Spridgets 5
C TR2/3/3A Intake/Exhaust Manifold Replacement Triumph 11
HealeyPassion Tri-carb intake manifold balance tube size Austin Healey 10
bugedd Weber intake manifold Spridgets 4
G TR4/4A Intake Manifold Question Triumph 6
S TR4/4A What attaches to the intake manifold Triumph 4
B New Intake Manifold Austin Healey 12
T TR4/4A Intake manifold - what attaches? Triumph 2
J New tube exhaust and intake manifold Austin Healey 15
J TR2/3/3A leak proofing intake/exhaust manifold Triumph 20
mgedit TR2/3/3A Vacuum Leak at Intake Manifold Triumph 6
G TR6 TR6 Intake Manifold interchangability Triumph 10
R Intake Manifold Oddity Austin Healey 20
Patrick67BJ8 BJ8 - Intake Manifold, carb, gaskets sequence - Info needed Austin Healey 2
K TR4/4A Putting H6 SU's on a TR4A intake manifold. Triumph 1
Patrick67BJ8 Copper Drain Lines for BJ8 Carb/Intake Manifold Austin Healey 30
philman Wedge TR8 intake manifold coolant nipple Triumph 2
HealeyDave Intake manifold heat shield fitting issue Austin Healey 2
E 1981 F150 4.9L intake manifold federal Other Cars 6
Jim_Newman Intake manifold for BN7 Austin Healey 3
Gerard A14 intake manifold needed Spridgets 11
sparkydave 1500 intake manifold snags Spridgets 8
K TR4/4A TR4A long intake manifold on a TR3A? Triumph 17
K TR4/4A Longer TR4A intake manifold on a 3...... Triumph 5
RJS Refinish Intake Manifold - In Place Triumph 4