• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Heated Seats

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Has anybody installed seat heaters? I've tried searching the forum but found nothing so I thought I would ask.

Those of you in SoCal or Florida may think this is nuts but here in western Washington there are plenty of chilly but nice days.

I've been thinking about how nice it might be on a 40* morning in clear weather to have heated seats for a top-down ride (might get my wife to go with me more often:smile:).

There are some aftermarket kits and I'm wondering if anyone has installed one.

I am particularly interested in which ones work best for our seats.

Any issues with the folding nature of our seats (routing wires, etc), or with the size of the base & back.

And any other advice/experiences anyone can pass along.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
No wiring , no fuses , no problems .....unless you dont tighten the plug properly :tennis:

but then again if it does leak you just tell everyone “it goes so fast it scares the p%#s out of you” :tennis:

Attachments

• C2693B98-FA1A-4908-8C76-63D2AEBF7ECE.jpg
    C2693B98-FA1A-4908-8C76-63D2AEBF7ECE.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 66

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have them in my Healey, TR3 and mini. Very nice when it gets cold. Just buy the after market seat heaters and they will fit under the seat covers sold by MOSS and others. Wiring comes out the back and can be hidden. There are switches you have to decide where to install, or leave them behind the seats so they don't show. Works both ways. Mine have been in the car for 11 years. Don't remember the brand.
Jerry

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Seat heaters .......whats next , GPS ,air conditioning, park assist , lane change correction , passive braking , self driving , electric windows and mirrors , heated washer jets , headlight washers ...etc etc etc
ITS A FREAKIN HEALEY ....they are supposed to leak oil , be uncomfortable draughty and overbearingly hot thats why we like them :encouragement:

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Healey Nut said: "Seat heaters .......whats next"

How about a heated steering wheel--wooden of course?

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Seat heaters .......whats next , GPS ,air conditioning, park assist , lane change correction , passive braking , self driving , electric windows and mirrors , heated washer jets , headlight washers ...etc etc etc
ITS A FREAKIN HEALEY ....they are supposed to leak oil , be uncomfortable draughty and overbearingly hot thats why we like them :encouragement:

GPS... although hidden, guilty as charged.

Rear Garmin taped 10.jpegAntenna in top of dash 14.jpeg_C9G5926.jpeg02-22-07 Computer speakers hiden.jpeg

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Don't laugh. My '92 Alfa Spider has power windows (4 buttons;two up, two down), power brakes, power steering and air conditioning (which doesn't work of course). Neither does the heater, so it's right in the British sports car tradition after all.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

A BJ8 owner with all those cushy comforts like wind-up windows, fancy walnut dash and an "easy-down" convertible top probably shouldn't be throwing stones. :devilgrin::jester:

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
A BJ8 owner with all those cushy comforts like wind-up windows, fancy walnut dash and an "easy-down" convertible top probably shouldn't be throwing stones. :devilgrin::jester:

PERFECT! (Written from my 100's leaky, hot and drafty cockpit)

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As another said, sheepskin covers do work great. Way back in the day, my Bugeye Sprite had a passenger seat heater named Kathy.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Two sets of seat heaters in use here . One set in a VWGTI (cloth seats) work great . Set two in a C7 Corvette (leather seats). No where near as good as the VW's. Both sets are OEM. I wonder if the leather seats present too much of a heat "barrier" to work efficiently? Buy the highest rated set you can find to be sure they are powerful enough.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Other than the comments about "Healeys should be uncomfortable," the biggest issue I see is the way our seats fold. I most cars, the seat back folds at the bottom/back junction so that the heaters could be one piece. Since big Healey seats pivot at about mid-bottom, the bottom of the seat back rises to create a gap. That means that the bottom heater and back heater have to be separate pieces. Are any made that way? Or maybe have just a bottom heater.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Other than the comments about "Healeys should be uncomfortable," the biggest issue I see is the way our seats fold. I most cars, the seat back folds at the bottom/back junction so that the heaters could be one piece. Since big Healey seats pivot at about mid-bottom, the bottom of the seat back rises to create a gap. That means that the bottom heater and back heater have to be separate pieces. Are any made that way? Or maybe have just a bottom heater.

These Corbeau heaters look like they might work with Healey seats:

[video=youtube;1lOFgPs1lVI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=142&v=1lOFgPs1lVI&feature=emb_ logo[/video]