Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Metallic Golden Beige BJ8 at Barrett-Jackson

@ Scottsdale Jan. 11-19 (NFI).

Do the MGB cars only travel from auction to auction? Am I the only person who has never heard of the 'Austin-Healey Concours Registry Show?'

MGBBJ8.jpg

Edit: Title of thread should have been: "B-J MGB BJ8"
    Last edited by Editor_Reid; 12-15-2019 at 10:19 PM. Reason: No need to thank me. Just doing my job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Re: B-j mgg bj8

Didn't sell at Owls Head in Maine earlier this year with a reserve: http://owlshead.org/auctions/detail/...j8-convertible Interesting it's going no reserve at B-J.
    Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Re: B-j mgg bj8

Yep , yet another “super rare Metallic Golden Beige” BJ8 ...... probably another bondo bucket from the restoration shop named ..................
    Only 553 built but we have thirty gallons of this metallic golden beige paint that we got cheap soooooo how many can we build ??.
    "If it aint broke ....dont fix it "
    " Thats not an oil leak ..........its a special automatic British rustproofing system "
    Best Healey in show ABCD Ottawa 2013
    Best Healey in Show Boot n Bonnett Kingston 2013

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Metallic Golden Beige BJ8 at Barrett-Jackson

While the color has become anything but rare, the subject car is, in fact, one of the 553 that left the factory dressed in MGB.
    Nate B.
    1967 Austin-Healey Sprite Mk IV
    1972 MGB-GT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Hi All,

Although Metallic Golden Beige was never a favorite of mine when initially introduced by Healey, as with other colors, modern paints with clear coat have greatly improved its presentation and heightened my appreciation. Keep in mind that the reason for the scarcity of cars in this color is that, when introduced, it did not receive a great reception.

As with other colors in paints of the day, many colors changed quite quickly and evolved to something different. As an example, red took on an orange hue and even Healey blue showed more silver. However, in todays paints, red remains vibrant red and Healey blue never presents blotchy silver erosions. The reason I purchased Old English White was that this paint could not evolve to another color and could only get more OEW-looking.

So, would you have purchased Metallic Golden Beige on a new Healey when it was introduced?

Just my thoughts,
    Ray(64BJ8P1)
    Last edited by RAC68; 12-17-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Dont care how “rare” they are for colour . IMHO the colour doesnt suit a Healey its to dare I say it too ..........American looking British cars of the Healeys era are supposed to have British looking colours and Metallic Golden Beige just screams “we painted it this god ugly for the US market”
    "If it aint broke ....dont fix it "
    " Thats not an oil leak ..........its a special automatic British rustproofing system "
    Best Healey in show ABCD Ottawa 2013
    Best Healey in Show Boot n Bonnett Kingston 2013

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RAC68 View Post
    Hi All,

So, would you have purchased Metallic Golden Beige on a new Healey when it was introduced?

Just my thoughts,
    Ray(64BJ8P1)
    When I was in high school with my first car, a well-used '59 bugeye, I had to go through the showroom of the BMC dealer to get to the parts department. On the showroom floor was a brand new MGB BJ8 with a red interior. Thought it was beautiful then, still think they're beautiful.
    Rick

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Two-stage MGB with red interior looks good to my eye. My first car was a '66 Mustang in 'Honey Gold,' similar to MGB with more green. But what do I know; I think Florida Green--now that's gotta be an 'American' color--over OEW looks da bomb. Healey Blue over OEW looks great, too. Heck, is there a color that doesn't look good on a Healey?

I'll be watching this one go, if it's on TV, with no reserve. My impression from watching auction action on TV is the 'collector' car market is down across-the-board (except for the real exotics). Here's hoping the 'slam-it-to-the-ground-with-huge-ugly-chrome-wheels-and-an-LS' phase is dying out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Its earned multiple Gold awards from the Austin-Healey Concours Registry Show.
    Maybe a set of silver wheels are installed for the shows. Points would be deducted for the chrome as shown in the photo.
    Would points be deducted for the wing mirrors, being not factory installed?

1964 BJ8 phase II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

What I find interesting is that even though the classic car market is down, the are still hot in the TV commercials. More and more each day so why doesn't that stimulate the market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe healey View Post
    What I find interesting is that even though the classic car market is down, the are still hot in the TV commercials. More and more each day so why doesn't that stimulate the market.
    I find it stimulating...I'd smoke a cigarette after watching...lol. (and I don't even smoke cigarettes)
    Last edited by AUSMHLY; 12-18-2019 at 05:10 AM.
    1964 BJ8 phase II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think only about 2,000 of the original 553 MGB have survived...
    1963 Austin Healey 3000 BJ7 Works Rally Tribute w/EFI
    http://stevesaustinhealey.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
    When I was in high school with my first car, a well-used '59 bugeye, I had to go through the showroom of the BMC dealer to get to the parts department. On the showroom floor was a brand new MGB BJ8 with a red interior. Thought it was beautiful then, still think they're beautiful.
    I forgot to mention that a few years ago I met a mechanic who worked at that dealership and when I mentioned the MGB Healey to him he told me it sat on the showroom floor for over a year before they were able to sell it. So maybe their popularity is relatively new. That paint had a bad reputation for fading and a number of them were repainted under warranty.
    Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Hi All,

Rick brings up a good point. Whether popular or not, it still is a valid Healey color. However, as with other colors on the pallet, the paints back then was much different then the paints of today and so, the color presentation as well. Todays colors are deeper and more vibrant then those of back then so it is difficult to remember how they looked on the showroom floor or at the side of the road. Also, I wonder how many who have chosen
    Metallic Golden Beige to paint their cars today, chose it to insert a bit of rarity into their redone Healey.

Again, I have not become a fan of the color but I do like it much more today, especially with a red interior, much more then I did back when it was painted by Healey. As previously mentioned, my choice for OEW was predicated upon the paints back and how they would age. My choice today could be different, but after 55-years of ownership, I have grown to really like OEW but it doesn't draw attention as Healey Blue, Red, or even MGB.

Just my thoughts,
    Ray(64BJ8P1)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

We had a member in our club the was a LBC salesman back in the day. He mentioned they hated the color and the cars were very difficult to sell. I think their rarity is what contributes to their popularity now days.
    Bob McElwee
    '62 AH Tri-Carb(sold)
    Miss BT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McElwee View Post
    We had a member in our club the was a LBC salesman back in the day. He mentioned they hated the color and the cars were very difficult to sell. I think their rarity is what contributes to their popularity now days.
    Hi Bob,

I have learned that when the golden beige first came out in production, there was a serious problem with the pigment, causing the color finish to fade rather quickly.

I have a green Healey, but is registered as a Golden Beige on my certificate. British Racing Green is a nice color, indeed. But in my opinion, the Golden Beige does stand out nicely, complimenting the shiny chrome wheels with black interior and vice versa. Unfortunately, for me to go back and do a complete rotisserie incorporating the golden beige seems like a never dream. I could do the British Green over for the exterior and leave the rest of the BRG painted finish alone (engine, chassis, etc.). That is probably what I will do one day. But if the golden beige finish is done right, it's my favorite, number one choice!

Paul
    P.S. Healey Blue is nice, too, but that'll be my second choice. Then, my third would be black with a red cove!

Paul

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

SHMBO had an Acura with a color similar to MGB. It was a newer paint, of course, but she really liked it. One of the reasons was it really hid the dirt.
    John, BN4

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Did it sell this time??????

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Auction is January 11-19. I'm guessing from the lot# it'll cross the block somewhere around the midpoint.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I was lucky enough to have one with red interior. Its was a rough car when I bought it. It had been painted green. After I finished it, I sold the car to a flipper( didn't know it at the time). He turned around an put it in the AZ auction for $25k more. It sold but don't know final price. Heard it went to another auction. I personnaly liked the color but like the healey blue better.