• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Metallic Golden Beige BJ8 at Barrett-Jackson

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
@ Scottsdale Jan. 11-19 (NFI).

Do the MGB cars only travel from auction to auction? Am I the only person who has never heard of the 'Austin-Healey Concours Registry Show?'

MGBBJ8.jpg

Edit: Title of thread should have been: "B-J MGB BJ8"

Last edited by a moderator:

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Re: B-j mgg bj8

Yep , yet another “super rare Metallic Golden Beige” BJ8 ...... probably another bondo bucket from the restoration shop named ..................
Only 553 built but we have thirty gallons of this metallic golden beige paint that we got cheap soooooo how many can we build ??.

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
While the color has become anything but rare, the subject car is, in fact, one of the 553 that left the factory dressed in MGB.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

Although Metallic Golden Beige was never a favorite of mine when initially introduced by Healey, as with other colors, modern paints with clear coat have greatly improved its presentation and heightened my appreciation. Keep in mind that the reason for the scarcity of cars in this color is that, when introduced, it did not receive a great reception.

As with other colors in paints of the day, many colors changed quite quickly and evolved to something different. As an example, red took on an orange hue and even Healey blue showed more silver. However, in todays paints, red remains vibrant red and Healey blue never presents blotchy silver erosions. The reason I purchased Old English White was that this paint could not evolve to another color and could only get more OEW-looking.

So, would you have purchased Metallic Golden Beige on a new Healey when it was introduced?

Just my thoughts,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dont care how “rare” they are for colour . IMHO the colour doesnt suit a Healey its to dare I say it too ..........American looking British cars of the Healeys era are supposed to have British looking colours and Metallic Golden Beige just screams “we painted it this god ugly for the US market”

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hi All,

So, would you have purchased Metallic Golden Beige on a new Healey when it was introduced?

Just my thoughts,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

When I was in high school with my first car, a well-used '59 bugeye, I had to go through the showroom of the BMC dealer to get to the parts department. On the showroom floor was a brand new MGB BJ8 with a red interior. Thought it was beautiful then, still think they're beautiful.

OP
Bob_Spidell

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Two-stage MGB with red interior looks good to my eye. My first car was a '66 Mustang in 'Honey Gold,' similar to MGB with more green. But what do I know; I think Florida Green--now that's gotta be an 'American' color--over OEW looks da bomb. Healey Blue over OEW looks great, too. Heck, is there a color that doesn't look good on a Healey?

I'll be watching this one go, if it's on TV, with no reserve. My impression from watching auction action on TV is the 'collector' car market is down across-the-board (except for the real exotics). Here's hoping the 'slam-it-to-the-ground-with-huge-ugly-chrome-wheels-and-an-LS' phase is dying out.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
“It’s earned multiple Gold awards from the Austin-Healey Concours Registry Show.”
Maybe a set of silver wheels are installed for the shows. Points would be deducted for the chrome as shown in the photo.
Would points be deducted for the wing mirrors, being not factory installed?

Country flag
What I find interesting is that even though the classic car market is down, the are still hot in the TV commercials. More and more each day so why doesn't that stimulate the market.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
What I find interesting is that even though the classic car market is down, the are still hot in the TV commercials. More and more each day so why doesn't that stimulate the market.

I find it stimulating...I'd smoke a cigarette after watching...lol. (and I don't even smoke cigarettes)

Last edited:

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I think only about 2,000 of the original 553 MGB have survived... :fat:

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
When I was in high school with my first car, a well-used '59 bugeye, I had to go through the showroom of the BMC dealer to get to the parts department. On the showroom floor was a brand new MGB BJ8 with a red interior. Thought it was beautiful then, still think they're beautiful.

I forgot to mention that a few years ago I met a mechanic who worked at that dealership and when I mentioned the MGB Healey to him he told me it sat on the showroom floor for over a year before they were able to sell it. So maybe their popularity is relatively new. That paint had a bad reputation for fading and a number of them were repainted under warranty.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

Rick brings up a good point. Whether popular or not, it still is a valid Healey color. However, as with other colors on the pallet, the paints back then was much different then the paints of today and so, the color presentation as well. Todays colors are deeper and more vibrant then those of back then so it is difficult to remember how they looked on the showroom floor or at the side of the road. Also, I wonder how many who have chosen
Metallic Golden Beige to paint their cars today, chose it to insert a bit of rarity into their redone Healey.

Again, I have not become a fan of the color but I do like it much more today, especially with a red interior, much more then I did back when it was painted by Healey. As previously mentioned, my choice for OEW was predicated upon the paints back and how they would age. My choice today could be different, but after 55-years of ownership, I have grown to really like OEW but it doesn't draw attention as Healey Blue, Red, or even MGB.

Just my thoughts,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
We had a member in our club the was a LBC salesman back in the day. He mentioned they hated the color and the cars were very difficult to sell. I think their rarity is what contributes to their popularity now days.

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We had a member in our club the was a LBC salesman back in the day. He mentioned they hated the color and the cars were very difficult to sell. I think their rarity is what contributes to their popularity now days.

Hi Bob,

I have learned that when the golden beige first came out in production, there was a serious problem with the pigment, causing the color finish to fade rather quickly.

I have a green Healey, but is registered as a Golden Beige on my certificate. British Racing Green is a nice color, indeed. But in my opinion, the Golden Beige does stand out nicely, complimenting the shiny chrome wheels with black interior and vice versa. Unfortunately, for me to go back and do a complete rotisserie incorporating the golden beige seems like a never dream. I could do the British Green over for the exterior and leave the rest of the BRG painted finish alone (engine, chassis, etc.). That is probably what I will do one day. But if the golden beige finish is done right, it's my favorite, number one choice!

Paul
P.S. Healey Blue is nice, too, but that'll be my second choice. Then, my third would be black with a red cove!

Paul

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
SHMBO had an Acura with a color similar to MGB. It was a newer paint, of course, but she really liked it. One of the reasons was it really hid the dirt.

Country flag
I was lucky enough to have one with red interior. Its was a rough car when I bought it. It had been painted green. After I finished it, I sold the car to a flipper( didn't know it at the time). He turned around an put it in the AZ auction for $25k more. It sold but don't know final price. Heard it went to another auction. I personnaly liked the color but like the healey blue better.