• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
After several weeks, I finally found the power supply I need in local online "classified" ad.

My email to seller (using website's internal messaging system). "Does the power supply work ok?"
Seller's reply next morning: "Yes, works just fine."

Email to seller: "Great. Can I come see it tomorrow?"
Seller reply two hours later: "Sure, no problem."

Email to seller: "Thanks. What's your address?"
Seller: "It's in the ad."

(no it isn't ...)

Email to seller: "I need a street address or a place to meet you."
Seller's reply two days later: "How about McDonalds?"

Email to seller: "OK - which McDonalds?"
Seller: "It's just a block away from me"

Email to seller: "What's the street address of the McDonalds?"
Seller: "I already gave it to you."

Email to seller: "Maybe I missed a message. Could you give me the address again?"
Seller next morning: "Are you a scammer?"

Email to seller: "Not a scammer, I just need the address where I can meet you to buy the power supply".
Seller: "I think you're trying to cheat me. I don't mess with scammers. Quit messaging me."

hqdefault.jpg
(Can I go home now ...?)

yeesh

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Funny, if his address is a block away from McDonalds, why would he want to meet there? Sounds fishy to me, like he doesn't want anyone to know where he lives. I'd use a lot of caution about dealing with someone like him, sounds like he has a few screws loose, three ears short of a bushel etc! :rolleyes2:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Even some honest people are surprisingly squeamish about passing out their home address to strangers on the Internet. I've done several trades (both buying and selling) in parking lots and all went well.

I did back out of one, though, where the seller insisted that I bring $4000 cash, and meet in a relatively deserted industrial area. Said he had never had a problem, and I said it wasn't his problem I was worried about :smile:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The local police department her in the city we live in offers a meeting room for buyers and sellers to meet. No shakedowns at the police station.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I think the seller was the scammer. He did want u to come to see it. Just send the money.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have no issue with giving out my address but I guess I'm kinda weird.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I read this and not 3 hours later read this

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/cr...n-public-of-series-of-violent-letgo-robberies

and, for us we have the fairly fresh memory of Dellen Mallard who had too much money and not enough brains and decided he wanted to kill someone - so at a meet up to buy a truck, murdered the owner. (he had already killed his girlfriend and father by then)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dellen_Millard_and_Mark_Smich

so people here are hopefully much much more cautious.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Reminds me of the Alfred Hitchcock movie "Rope" inspired by the real-life murder of 14-year-old Bobby Franks in 1924 by college students Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb, who basically just wanted to see what it was like to kill someone.

And what a cheery topic for the Christmas season - fa la la la la...la la la la :single_eye:

Country flag
We had one like that round here a few years ago. Tenn killed his little brother while the parents were out, said the same thing, that he wanted to see what it felt like to kill someone. I can't imagine that even coming to mind, much less doing it.