Thread: Ford Versus Ferrari Question

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Re: Ford Versus Ferrari Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Spidell View Post
    Of course, we all know private shops and dealers would never take shortcuts on jobs they do all the time, right? If someone opened up my brake system and didn't bleed afterwards I would never use that shop again; just because you can get away with it 999 times out of a thousand doesn't mean it's the proper procedure (and the plaintiff's lawyer in a lawsuit would bring it up if there was an accident involving the brakes, and you wouldn't want me on the jury).

How often do you swap out calipers? I've had mine off once in 35years/145K miles for rebuild--that I can recall, at least--but I've had to replace several clutch and brake cylinders. The job just isn't done that often, you've got the car up on jackstands or a lift with the wheels off, why wouldn't you take 20 minutes to bleed/flush the system while you're at it? All the shop manuals I've read, for several makes, specify a complete fluid flush every 2-3 years. That may be overkill but you can't say it's a bad idea; DoT 3&4 are hygroscopic--they absorb atmospheric moisture readily (read the label on the bottle)--and DoT 5 causes moisture to pool in the low spots. Suspension and brakes are no place to half-ass a job; if the engine doesn't start you don't go, but if the brakes fail you don't stop.

In the movies or on the track, you might get away with a somewhat softer pedal for a few miles; it's a calculated risk. Not worth it on a 'family' car.
    OK.
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Great thread with super links to excellent articles! Thanks Lin for starting this!

Steve
    1963 Austin Healey 3000 BJ7 Works Rally Tribute w/EFI
    http://stevesaustinhealey.com

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Spidell View Post

The job just isn't done that often, you've got the car up on jackstands or a lift with the wheels off, why wouldn't you take 20 minutes to bleed/flush the system while you're at it?

I flush my brake system every year as part prep for our MOT certificate. All lighting and the windscreen washer gets an annual check as well. My washer has been electrified and gave me a bit of a shock finding how long it takes to get the pump to self prime - it does not get used that often.

Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

This appears to be the book the movie's based upon. A great read - a real page turner:

screenshot.2027.jpg
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow