• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

interesting article about converting classic cars to electric power

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi all,

I had a friend that converted his Healey to electric power. He was restoring the Healey and pulled the engine and transmission. To move it around the garage he rented space in, He attached a tow bar on the Healey's front wheels and the other end of the bar to garage's folk lift. Now it moves via an electric motor.

I know, not what you were looking for,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
nevets

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
There are well regarded Nasty Boys with American V8s instead of the original engines, so maybe electric motors have a place in the Austin Healey ecosystem? After all, the Healey badge does include a lightning bolt.

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This may be the way of the "future," and we may be going there. But no electric motor will ever have the sweet sound of a Healey exhaust. Or feel like a Healey does when running out of revs in 4th gear and the driver clicks the overdrive switch.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This may be the way of the "future," and we may be going there. But no electric motor will ever have the sweet sound of a Healey exhaust. Or feel like a Healey does when running out of revs in 4th gear and the driver clicks the overdrive switch.

Couldnt agree more .
Theres no way you could get me to drive an overpriced hair dryer , and nothing can equal the sound and feel of either my Healeys or my Aston Martin V8 Vantage ,just pushing the start button on that gives me goosebumps .
Cars with engines have soul .
Electric cars are just ......a tin box on wheels .

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I doubt if any of us guys who spent lots of money with Abarth, Ansa, Smithy's, Borla, Magnaflow, etc are ever going to sign on to quiet cars. I owned two of the Fiat 124 Spiders that were used in the article's electric conversion.and although I always would have liked a little more acceleration, I wouldn't have traded the sound of that car revving to 7.000 rpm for the hum of an electric motor.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I put an aftermarket muffler system--think it was a MagnaFlow--on my Ranger and I regretted it almost from the minute I installed it; the drone drives me nuts (fortunately, I don't have to drive it too often or far). My BJ8 has Heartthrob mufflers from JC Whitney and they really bark, but I barely hear them at speed (I like to think I'm outrunning the sound ;)). My Mustang GT has 'adjustable' mufflers--you can change the tone and volume with the flick of a switch--the sound is piped into the car as well, and for the most part I like it but it gets objectionable on long trips. My BN2 has Falcon SS my dad bought, and they were tinny sounding at first but after a few hundred miles they sound like a proper British sports car. But, yeah, I'd miss the sound of an engine (though, if I had an extra $60K around I might buy a Mustang Mach-E to save my GT from being used for short commutes).