• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Door check straps

Ron Trottier

Freshman Member
I'm removing the doors on my '66 TR4A IRS restoration project and the door check straps are riveted at the pivot point joining the two halves. Should I just grind off the bottom section of the rivet to separate the two parts or is there an alternate method of removal without destroying the rivets?

Thanks,

Ron

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Ron - just a thought, but if you're replacing the straps, you could use pop rivets to attach a new strap to the end of the old strap (if it's still good).

Edit: I think removing the rivets is your best choice if you're replacing all the hardware.

Tom M.

OP
R

Ron Trottier

Freshman Member
Thanks,

The straps are still good and I would like to keep and reuse the originals if possible. Is there any way to get the door off without grinding off the original rivet bottom at the strap pivot point?

Thanks,

Ron

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ron, I believe the 4A had the same check strap as the 6. I carefully filed the bottom center of the strap pivot rivet and then used pliers to squeeze the bottom of the rivet. I was then able to pull the rivet out and separate the check strap halves. I replaced the rubber buffer at one end and reassembled. You can rejoin the check strap with a small bolt but I wanted an authentic look so put the original rivet back in. Jeff

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here are pictures of the complete check strap and with the original rivet removed. I used some needle-nose vice-grips to squash the flare at the bottom enough to be pulled up & out of the pivot. Its a soft metal. I needed to remove the doors for restoration and paint P1110085.jpgP1110087.jpgP1110086.jpg prep.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ron Trottier

Freshman Member
Thanks, that is the method I will use once I get to the door removal stage. I was able to adapt my wooden rotisserie for the tub to allow the doors to be left on for increased stability during the tub removal from the chassis. I have already removed the engine and trans from the chassis and am currently working on the final strip of the suspensions and rear differential. I will then be moving on to frame welding and refurbishment. Thanks again.

Ron