• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Member - Austin Healey BN1 & Austin 7 Special

Richard.Stephens

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi. Richard Stephens here from summer in Melbourne Australia.
Just joined the British Car Forum. Great to find such an active and informed group of fellow Real Car enthusiasts.
My BN1 is both a daily drive (work and back plus long distance touring) and a track car, racing in Regularity events.
This is my fourth Healey - two past BJ8’s when in the UK 38 years ago, a BJ7 in Melbourne, and after a Healey-less break of 10 years, a 1955 100/4 BN1. I have to say I absolutely love the BN1.
I tinker a lot and keep Dennis Welch in business. Lowered suspension, telescopic shocks, anti roll bars front and rear. Almost too much negative camber. Extractors and side exhaust, +++. 100M style camshaft and large valve ported alloy head. Twin 1 3/4” HS carbs. Alloy high capacity radiator to keep it all cool in 40 degree summer heat. Great fun to drive.

The Austin 7 Special is a slow project based on a 1932 chassis. Race engine prepared by PigSty in the UK. Lowered suspension- front radius arms over the chassis and engine raised 120mm to align with the diff and 19” wheels. Thin seat bases just above the road and the torque tube running through at waste height. The rear quarter elliptical springs run outside the body line in order to fit driver and passenger bottoms between them. Rear axle located on trailing arms and panhard rod.
Body is next - custom aluminium and light weight.
Destined for track work and hill climbs.
Should be a good contrast to the Healey - but also similar with respect to “seat of the pants” driving and fun.
Look forward to discussions and contributions.
Cheers Richard

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Welcome Richard! sounds like two great cars. There seems to be a much stronger tradition of modifying big Healeys in OZ. I might be the only other Austin 7 owner on this forum - completely in pieces - and would love to see pics of yours.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Yes, pics of the Austin 7 ! I don't have one, but I do have a Morris 8. 1936. Not so different. We have a friend here that has an Austin 7 but has continual issues with clutch and brakes.

Jerry
BJ8, TR3A, mini, Morris 8