• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Scroll Air Compressor

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Seems like a good idea, but then so did the Wankel engine.

Not sure I believe that a 30 gallon tank at 145 psi can be the equivalent of my 80 gallon tank running 175 psi. Seems like the laws of physics kind of get in the way there.

Rated efficiency (in terms of cfm per kVA) is actually slightly lower than my old 2 stage piston compressor (made by IR I believe, sold by Sears).

But lower operating noise would certainly be worth something. I mounted mine outdoors (and the "new" one will be outdoors as well), just so I don't have to listen to it run. Neighbors haven't complained (yet) :smile:

Don't forget, you still need special wiring for it. It doesn't appear to come with a plug, and the instructions appear to expect it will be hardwired with a cutoff switch instead of a plug and outlet. So much for "completely portable" (unless you just happen to have a 20amp 220v outlet in all the places you might want to use it). "Must be installed by a licensed electrician."

"Made in China."

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We have 2 large 15hp scroll compressors at work. They work great and are very quiet compared to a piston type (we have a piston for backup)
Probably overkill for a home or small shop unit. Buy a good piston unit and add a chiller with the money you save.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Still looking for comments on using a scroll compressor in a small one person shop. I did read the comments, John, both negative and positive and am not scared away, at least not by the comments. I do appreciate Georges comments on his work compressors although the comparison to the Eastwood's smaller version might be a stretch.

Also here's a bit about my situation. I already have two compressors, one 20 year old Campbell Hausfield 60 gal single stage and one 50+ year old Ingersoll Rand two stage 80 gallon, the latter already hard wired to a shut-off box. While the IR is much quieter than the CH, they are both very noisy. I do not have the option of setting up a compressor outside here in the frozen North like Randall does in sunny California. I have thought about building a shed for the IR compressor but that would cost as much as the Eastwood compressor. Also don't know how they would do in months of sub freezing temperatures in the unheated shed.

I do appreciate the comments though. I'm only at the "consideration" stage with this and would rather have the negative comments now.

Tom

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have never seen a scroll this small. Large commercial units are more efficient , and quiet. I sold a 25hp unit a few years ago. I would put out enough air to do anything! Most of the large ones are 3 phase. I see this unit is single phase which is what most residential has. Much quieter, less power required to run them.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Yes, thanks Jerry, I can't seem to find anything to compare this with, although the big ones seem to be quite common. I wonder if there is any reason they can't be scaled down?
Tom

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Had a 70 herald. Rebuilt all the mechanical stuff. Brought the engine up to higher spec (similar to Spitfires so about 75 hp vs the normal 60) and drove it like I just stole it. But I no longer have as parking space for it and decided I wasn't enjoying the body work and it needed allot of body work so it had to go.

tabeeR

Freshman Member
Country flag
I've heard about the company that produces these air compressor systems, but I never tried it and I have no idea if it is really worth spending money on it or not.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
We now have over a year of reviews on Eastwood's site, generally favorable. One spec that impressed me was the tank fill time of 3 minutes. My old (50++ years) IR two stage is more than twice that, 6 minutes to 90 lbs and 10 minutes to 140 lbs. though. Of course I do realize that the tank on the Eastwood is less than 1/2 the size and mine is probably not up to it's original capacity. They are so different it is hard to compare anything. I've decided to stick with the IR until it fails but quite sure I will get the scroll one when it does.
Tom

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Diesel Scroll compressors are used in the construction industry and have been for years. They produce a high volume of air and are less prone to breakdowns than piston compressors. Scroll compressors have a lower maintenance schedule. I have no idea how well the one your showing works. PJ

tabeeR

Freshman Member
Country flag
Ah, I thought you are talking about air compressor systems that are used to inflate the tires of your car. Still, there are a lot of websites on the internet where you can order yourself an air compressor, but if you are not careful you can be easily tricked by scammers. That is why it is important to visit safe and secure websites like > Best air compressor for heavy duty trucks - Kyle's Garage < is. You can find a lot of air compressors here made by different companies from all over the world.