• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

December 7, 1941

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
We all know about the Pearl Harbor attack in 1941. A US radar station at Opana Point detected the first wave of Japanese planes that morning.

Why was this warning ignored?

(extra points for identifying what planes were detected!)

Don't let your guard down!

ARNG-small.png

Tom M.

Last edited:
OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I'm betting there are millions who think they know "the story". And there are thousands of stories about that awful event.

Still don't understand why Lockard was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, as "the hero of Pearl Harbor". Was it because he reported the radar contact to his commanding officer (who said it should be ignored)?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I've had those same thoughts, plus others for years. A disaster that should not have happened. I won't get into it deeper for obvious reasons. PJ

I'm betting there are millions who think they know "the story". And there are thousands of stories about that awful event.

Still don't understand why Lockard was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, as "the hero of Pearl Harbor". Was it because he reported the radar contact to his commanding officer (who said it should be ignored)?

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
In the early 80s. I was working at a school that had an older guy who worked as a custodian. I got to know him a little and we were talking about that day. Turns out he was there on guard duty that morning. He said that every day when he went on duty, he was issued amo. That day they told him "no amo today" Did someone know something? you be the judge.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Without (I hope) getting political, because it applies over and over again, the number of times things happen (or don't) because someone (often a higher ranking someone) can't imagine it happening.

Kim Philby - perhaps the most famous Brit ever to spy for the USSR - suspicion fell on him in 1951 but he didn't defect until 1963 - why? because he came from the right home and went to the right school so OBVIOUSLY he would NEVER spy for another country.

Louisbourg Nova Scotia (go see it BTW much like a smaller colonial Williamsburg) was a French fort built in the 1700s - OBVIOUSLY they would NEVER attack from behind so why put cannons there? The British did.

And of course the US of A - and those Redcoats - first of all wearing red! but going to war because OBVIOUSLY those colonials would NEVER shoot from behind trees and fences - they will fight in rows like they have been taught :rolleyes:

back to subject at hand