Thread: December 7, 1941

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

December 7, 1941

We all know about the Pearl Harbor attack in 1941. A US radar station at Opana Point detected the first wave of Japanese planes that morning.

Why was this warning ignored?

(extra points for identifying what planes were detected!)

Don't let your guard down!

ARNG-small.png

Tom M.
    Last edited by NutmegCT; 12-07-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: December 7, 1941

I though I knew the story. Then I read this https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-ma...bor?ref=scroll

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

I'm betting there are millions who think they know "the story". And there are thousands of stories about that awful event.

Still don't understand why Lockard was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, as "the hero of Pearl Harbor". Was it because he reported the radar contact to his commanding officer (who said it should be ignored)?
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've had those same thoughts, plus others for years. A disaster that should not have happened. I won't get into it deeper for obvious reasons. PJ

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegCT View Post
    I'm betting there are millions who think they know "the story". And there are thousands of stories about that awful event.

Still don't understand why Lockard was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, as "the hero of Pearl Harbor". Was it because he reported the radar contact to his commanding officer (who said it should be ignored)?

Remember, Never Forget
    We Live In The Land of The Free
    Because of The Brave

How good it feels, the hand of an old friend! Longfellow

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the early 80s. I was working at a school that had an older guy who worked as a custodian. I got to know him a little and we were talking about that day. Turns out he was there on guard duty that morning. He said that every day when he went on duty, he was issued amo. That day they told him "no amo today" Did someone know something? you be the judge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Without (I hope) getting political, because it applies over and over again, the number of times things happen (or don't) because someone (often a higher ranking someone) can't imagine it happening.

Kim Philby - perhaps the most famous Brit ever to spy for the USSR - suspicion fell on him in 1951 but he didn't defect until 1963 - why? because he came from the right home and went to the right school so OBVIOUSLY he would NEVER spy for another country.

Louisbourg Nova Scotia (go see it BTW much like a smaller colonial Williamsburg) was a French fort built in the 1700s - OBVIOUSLY they would NEVER attack from behind so why put cannons there? The British did.

And of course the US of A - and those Redcoats - first of all wearing red! but going to war because OBVIOUSLY those colonials would NEVER shoot from behind trees and fences - they will fight in rows like they have been taught

back to subject at hand
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)