Thread: B V6 Conversion Recommendations

Discussions of MG Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

B V6 Conversion Recommendations

Hey Guys

Anyone have thoughts on the best B year to do a V6 conversion? I want to keep it below 75 for smog reasons. What is your opinion on a pre-rubber bumper year and any mods to the engine bay that may need to be done in order to get a V6 to fit.

Thanks
    Thanks
    Kev
    69MGC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Re: B V6 Conversion Recommendations

Hey, Kev -

Having done one on a '69, I can tell you that it's not that bad. The rubber bumper Bs are easier, as the firewall has more room, motor mounts are different, and the radiator location is more forward.

On the chrome bumper Bs, you have to cut away the brackets where the motor mounts bolt up, relocate the radiator, and "dress" a couple areas of the firewall. Also, the steering shaft u-joint is too large and you'll need a smaller one, as the exhaust header will foul it.

Earlier chrome bumper Bs (pre-68, I think) also have narrower transmission tunnels, so that's an issue.

If you haven't already, check out British V8's website for lots of examples - http://www.britishv8.org/Photos-MG-Conversions.htm

And info: http://forum.britishv8.org/

Oh, and the GM 3.4 found in early model Camaros and Firebirds is the engine of choice, along with the Tremec T5 transmission.

Bill Guzman, at Classic Conversions, is the go-to guy for the installation kits, as well as lots of info: http://www.classicconversionseng.com/ Brian, at BMC also: http://bmcautos.com/

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Mickey
    "There are three kinds of men. One who learns by readin'. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on that electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers
    Mickey Richaud '73 MGB, '69 MGB GT/V6 (SOLD! ), Victor TF, '03 Jaguar XK8
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Mickey for the quick response. I'll check out the sites you recommended and I'll post with any other questions as I move through the process. Thanks for the help.

Kev
    Thanks
    Kev
    69MGC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As said, any year of MGB works, though there is a bit ore work on the CBB. OTOH, the RBB needs a bunch of work if you want it to match the early cars in handling, so it is a toss up, pretty much.

The same engine also fits in an MGA with a bit more work (this one looks odd because it has the Jamaican body on it)).

enginebayj.jpg
    Current clutter: 1957 MGA-Jamaican, 1958 MGA Twincam (race car), 1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe, 1971 Jensen Interceptor
    2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe, 2007 BMW Z4M coupe Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV-8, 1969 MGC roadster, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Bill for the Input. Love the engine setup in the photo.. I'll keep you all informed.
    Thanks
    Kev
    69MGC