• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Datsun 2000

Country flag
I am going to look at a Datsun 2000 tomorrow. 1969 year car. Is it worth buyng ng to fix up. Price unknown right, may get picture and post to folks to review.
Marv

D

Deleted member 8987

The burgeoning Japanese car company wanted a really good name so they asked the Germans who are known for naming their car companies really well.
The president asked a rep from a German marketing company for help.
They asked when they needed the final product and the president said, "One week."
To which the German replied, "Dat Soon."

They were stuck on the roadster...so they called it Fair Lady until someone said, uh, no.

"Datsun-ice car". Say it out loud.

They were okay. Early datsoons were almost copies of LBC's.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
not withstanding corny jokes (good one TOC) Japanese cars are appreciating regularly - so, probably not far off the values and trends of LBCs but interesting and unique cars. Keep us posted!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Marv -

I had a '69 2000 back around 1980 - great car! The overhead cam is fairly rev happy, and the five speed is a nice addition. And they were very successful in SCCA racing - I think Bob Sharp maybe? Always thought the radio orientation in the middle dash was somewhat unique as well. The only thing I didn't like was the tall windshield introduced the year before; but that sure cured the traffic light visibility issue with the MGBs.

Not sure if they're going to be investment-grade, but I wouldn't be surprised. Japanese sports cars are starting to come into their own. Whatever the case, if the body and frame are sound and you can pick it up for the price of a similar TR, I'd go for it.

Mickey

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Found a picture of mine:

IMG_20191203_0001.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191203_0002.jpg
    IMG_20191203_0002.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 125

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The orig 1600 roadster was sesigned to go up against the MGB market. The larger engined 2000 was probably to compete against the TR products in the late 60 and early 1970s.
The 2000 could be made into a real screamer with a little tuning. A buddy of mine had one prepped by Bob Sharp and it was something else. Over 140 mpg in a straight line on soon to be opened interstate that we snuck onto.
Bob sharp motors raced both the 1600 and the 2000 very successfully in SCCA before the 240Z was introduced.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The orig 1600 roadster was sesigned to go up against the MGB market. The larger engined 2000 was probably to compete against the TR products in the late 60 and early 1970s.
The 2000 could be made into a real screamer with a little tuning. A buddy of mine had one prepped by Bob Sharp and it was something else. Over 140 mpg in a straight line on soon to be opened interstate that we snuck onto.
Bob sharp motors raced both the 1600 and the 2000 very successfully in SCCA before the 240Z was introduced.

And interestingly, the first of the body style of the later models, the SP 310 (1500 cc, I think), which closely resembles the MGB, debuted before the MGB!

D

Deleted member 8987

Over 140 mpg in a straight line on soon to be opened interstate that we snuck onto.
and all that before the oil crisis of OCT73. Crosleys got about 1/3 of that in MPG on their best days. Just think of your RANGE with a 20-gallon tank. Amazing.

CraigC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
"Datsun-ice car". Say it out loud.

Back in 1975-1976 I commuted from my home in San Francisco to work in the East Bay via the Bay Bridge. On numerous occasions I would see a Datsun 240Z with the personalized plates "ICE CAR". Took a few sightings before I got the connection. Got a chuckle when I did.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The valve train for the 2000 models was very "mickey mouse" to convert a "standard" engine to an overhead cam engine. Lots of pulleys, gears, chains and a balance shaft to boot. Not for the faint of heart I had one years ago as a project car and the car won !

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
My brother has a 1600 he is going to restore, parts are not real easy as many are unique to the Roadsters. They are getting some love in the collector market, and resto-mods are popular because of the parts issues. I would put market price somewhere north of TR6, but south of big Healey. A low mile being valued proportionately higher due to rarity.