Thread: New Member in North Carolina

Hey New Members! This New Member Introduction Forum is where you can post an introduction message to introduce yourself to the group here!

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

New Member in North Carolina

I’m in the Raleigh, NC area. Sometime in the late 1980’s, I vowed to never own another piece of junk British car again. My first car, in 1964, was a Bugeye Sprite. My parents came home from vacation and found me rebuilding the engine in my little Brother’s Radio Flyer wagon in my bedroom. That was followed by a Triumph TR4, Austin Mini, two Lotus 7s, two Europas, and an Elan, plus several European exotics. In the mid 80’s, I shifted over to Model T Fords and eliminated all sports cars from my diet ——————- got tired of fixing things all the time!!!!! Then —————— in 2005, I bought a new Mini, then a Jaguar E Type, and now ———————- there are a 66’ Mini Cooper, 60’ Bugeye Sprite, 60’ Lotus 7 vintage racer, and an 84’ Caterham in the shop, plus an eclectic collection of other things. Last Winter, I built a hot Bugeye 1275, and a race engine for the Lotus. There is a collection of Spridget parts in storage. Worst of all, I didn’t even drive the Model T this year. Apparently, an LBC addiction is like alcoholism. Even after you quit, you’re still an addict. On the other hand “he who dies with the most toys wins”!!!!!
    Last edited by lotsats; 12-01-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Re: New Member in North Carolina

You're don't doing to good with those resolutions!

Welcome to the BCF!
    Last edited by Basil; 12-01-2019 at 05:02 PM.
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Greetings from Durham. Welcome !
    Last edited by Basil; 12-01-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    Doug L.
    '64 Morris Mini Cooper-S 1275
    '67 Triumph GT6 Mk1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Welcome!
    Just Remember.......
    NOBODY ever says "COOL PRIUS!"

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AngliaGT View Post
    Welcome!
    Well actually, my regular driver IS a cool plug in Prius Prime. It’s the most technologically sophisticated car I’ve ever owned, and comfortable, and reliable, and safe, etc. Of course, my eclectic collection also includes a Porsche 911 Turbo and a NASCAR Dodge racer so it is possible to go a bit faster if desired.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lotsats View Post
    Well actually, my regular driver IS a cool plug in Prius Prime. It’s the most technologically sophisticated car I’ve ever owned, and comfortable, and reliable, and safe, etc. Of course, my eclectic collection also includes a Porsche 911 Turbo and a NASCAR Dodge racer so it is possible to go a bit faster if desired.
    I'll bet you get more "cool car" comments on your 911!
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    I'll bet you get more "cool car" comments on your 911!
    Possibly, but I don't care.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Sorry - wasn't dis-ing the Prius. I have several friends who own them and are quite happy with them.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No apology necessary. I wasn’t offended. Actually, thinking more about it, the cars that get the most attention are the Caterham and Bugeye Sprite. I suspect it’s because there are Porsches everywhere. Heck, you can buy a whole yard full at any given time on Craigslist. Most people have never seen a Bugeye or a Lotus 7 (Caterham). I can’t even count the number of times I’ve said to a kid’s parent “would you like to take a picture of him/her sitting behind the steering wheel”. I get a much bigger kick out of doing that than talking to someone who is star struck over a Porsche. Also, while the Porsche is fast, it’s also a finely engineered, comfortable car. Great for a long road trip or maybe for a track day. Really nice and easy to drive, but not too thrilling to me when driving around town. On the other hand, a 1200 pound Caterham with 150 hp takes someone who really needs to, and enjoys, paying attention to what’s going on every second. You’re really one with the machine, even if just driving to the grocery store. If you want to feel like Jim Clark, this car will do it every time.