• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Heater Removal

ceedub

Country flag
Anyone had success removing the heater by just removing the glove box and taking it out that way? I really don't want to remove the dash. It looks like I can remove the driver side bolt through the ashtray and the others from the passenger side but not sure if it is physically possible to extract the heater through the passenger footwell. I know it will be a struggle but I am preparing myself for the battle.
Thanks for your input.

Ceedub

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Don't make it a impossible task. Take the dash support out and the carpet off the tunnel will give you the room to get it out. Use a turkey baster to get the anti freeze out of there so you don't put it all over your carpet. Put a small hose on the end of it to get down to the bottom.
Getting the gasket broken from the fire wall could give you some grief. Take pictures of the wires and try to leave the bullets on different wires, like leave the bullet on the green wire on the motor and leave it on the green/yellow under the dash.
You have to fold it out and I know you don't want to hear this but taking the tunnel cover out does make it easier.
Now, taking the glove box out with some of the supports may be a way if you are nimble and laying on your back and like the taste of old anti freeze.
Let us know if you have success doing that. as taking the glove box out involves about as much contortion as any other way.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I did it by taking the glovebox out plus the things Wayne describes. Definitely remove the gearbox carpet. The choke and heater valve cables have to be moves out of the way, along with some wired. Disconnect the battery. Yep - working on your back in the footwell; a good 20+ cuss-word job.

I recall there was no room to spare and it had to be wiggled around to get it angled, down & sideways. But then you can flush it out good and oil the motor. My hoses were original and looked fine but were actually mushy on the inside. The metal bulkhead connector was rusty and had to be replaced. Works great now. Good luck! Jeff